× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ stall during File System check at 19%

Sandshark
Sensei

As long as you can log in, you can save the configuration and restore it once the new volume is created.  With an NV+, I doubt you're still running apps on it.  But if you are, restore those before restoring the configuration.

Message 26 of 50
arefem
Star

Unfortunately I am not able to log in as it never gets past the disk check.   However, I have accepted that I will just need to treat it as a new install with fresh disks.   I will keep the existing disks for possible recovery as a separate exercise.

Is setting it up with four new disks as straightforward as putting in the new disks and powering up, and it will set itself up with the default settings?   Will the name and password have changed?

My initial area of doubt is that it was set up as an iTunes server.   My recollection is that this was just a tickbox setting, so I am hoping that is easy to reinstate.

Message 27 of 50
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it's basically that easy.  There is a time-out (10 min, I think), after which it will automatically move forward with XRAID volume creation.  You can use RAIDar to skip that wait and/or switch to FlexRAID.  Remember that anything you've done to get around the TLS 1.0 issue will no longer be present, so you'll need to use a browser that still supports it.  The default admin password will be netgear1.  Also remember that the max drive size for an NV+ V1 is 2TB.

Message 28 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

Just curious, but what is the basis of this limit?  Is it the hardware?  I've run drives as large as 18TB without an issue in my various units running os4.

Message 29 of 50
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

Just curious, but what is the basis of this limit?  Is it the hardware?  \

No GPT support is one aspect.  This particular NAS uses RAID acceleration hardware, and that is possibly another part of it.

@SamirD wrote:

I've run drives as large as 18TB without an issue in my various units running os4.

There are limits to expansion in OS4.

• A volume cannot be expanded over 16 TiB
  • A volume cannot be expanded more than 8 TiB larger than its initial size.

OS6 doesn't have either of these limits.

Message 30 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

Ah, makes sense if there is a 'storage controller' or something like that going on vs straight sata.

Yep, aware of the other limitations, but definitely not limited on my units to 2TB, which is nice. 🙂

Message 31 of 50
Sandshark
Sensei

It's a hardware issue.  Not enough address lines.  Very old PC's have a similar limitation.

Message 32 of 50
arefem
Star

Something has just occurred to me.  While this forum correspondence has been going on, I have transitioned from PC to Mac.   Will I need to do anything different in order to access the NAS from the Mac?

Message 33 of 50
StephenB
Guru

@arefem wrote:

Something has just occurred to me.  While this forum correspondence has been going on, I have transitioned from PC to Mac.   Will I need to do anything different in order to access the NAS from the Mac?

You'll need to enable afp as a file shareing protocol.

On the web interface, you'll need to use a down-rev version of Firefox to reach frontview to work around the SSL protocol version issue (safari won't connect).

Message 34 of 50
arefem
Star

Thank you for all the advice so far.   I have made a clean start with new disks in the NAS, and have uploaded from my last saved backup, and am now in the process of uploading the missing music from CDs.   I did have a copy of the latest iTunes database, so I have been able to just upload the files, while all the original information like playcount is preserved.   Access from the Mac is working well after activating AFP.   I have a version of Firefox 94.0.2 running.   It was possible to install this in parallel with the latest version, and I just need to remember to dismiss the offer to update to the latest version.

The latest problem I have encountered is in setting up a new backup job.  I have registered a USB disk as a share.    I used to put the backup in a folder in the USB drive called Backup, however, if I try to navigate to this using Browse, nothing is shown in the Select Folder window, and the browser window just sits frozen.   I have tried this also on a PC, and get the same behaviour.   Am I doing something wrong here?

Message 35 of 50
arefem
Star

Additional Information: After quite a long delay, the Select Folder window comes up showing EMPTY, at which point the buttons are usable.

Message 36 of 50
StephenB
Guru

How is the USB disk formatted?

Now that it is responding, can you

• copy a file to the USB drive from a PC?
  • create and run the backup job?

FWIW, USB access on the NV+ is extremely slow.  The fastest way to make a backup is to connect the disk to a PC, and run the backup over the network.  Personally I'd use something like FreeFileSync (or maybe Teracopy or Robocopy) for this - setting it up on the PC instead of using a backup job.  Otherwise you will need to enable the SMB 1 server feature on the PC - which does create some security risks.

Running it on the PC requires the PC to be on when the backup is scheduled, which might not be convenient. So if the USB drive can keep up, you could of course stick with your current plan.

Message 37 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

If the usb drive is also having issues on the PC, then it's the drive.  But if not, I would try using the portable version of firefox 52 as I do remember some weird windows like that if the browser version was 'wrong'.

Message 38 of 50
arefem
Star

The USB disk is formatted as NTFS and is in the condition as purchased, except with a Backup folder added.  See attached image.
I am still unable to create a backup job.   I probably didn't explain too well what is happening.   When I try to select the backup folder on the USB drive as the destination, there is a very long delay, after which the only entry shown is EMPTY, which is not a location on the disk,   However, at this point it is possible to press the 'Cancel' or 'Select' buttons, although there is nothing to select.    See screenshot on previous post.
I haven't tried writing to the USB disk attached to the NAS from a PC, but I will do that tomorrow.
Another query is that my recollection is that there was a way to eject a USB drive before disconnecting it, but I can't remember how to do that.

Message 39 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

USB drives and access can be hit or miss even when the drive is fine, so not surprising.  I would first see if you can access the drive from PC when it is attached to the NAS as that's the first step.

As far as the eject usb--I thought there was an option somewhere in frontview, but I can't recall atm and I don't have any of my units near me to check.

Message 40 of 50
arefem
Star

I can see the USB drive in file explorer on the PC, but am unable to access it.   It asks for the network credentials, but when I enter the admin password for the NAS it doesn't recognise it.  See attached image.

For ejecting the USB, I also thought there was an option in Frontview, but I don't see it.   I don't remember it being hard to find, but I'll look further.

Message 41 of 50
arefem
Star

ok - Found the eject for USB in Frontview.   It was straightforward after all:  > Volumes > USB Storage > then choose Disconnect from Options.   See attachment.

Message 42 of 50
StephenB
Guru

One thing to keep in mind is that the 2 TB size limit in your NAS also applies to USB drives.

FWIW, with the NV+ it is faster to back up over the network than it is to back up to a directly connected USB.  If you are making backups manually (or have an always-on PC), then you should consider connecting the drive to a PC, and using a PC backup utility like FreeFileSync to back up the NAS shares to the USB drive.  

Message 43 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

This sounds more like a windows issue vs the nas.  Are you sure smb1 and smb2 are enabled on the computer?

Message 44 of 50
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

This sounds more like a windows issue vs the nas.  Are you sure smb1 and smb2 are enabled on the computer?

No need for smb2, but you do need the smb1 client enabled. However, not enabling it shouldn't result in a wrong password error.

@arefem - likely you are already configured for user security mode on the NAS, but perhaps double check that you aren't set up for the older share security mode.

You could also try again using the Windows command line (net use). 

net use * /d /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:admin nas-admin-password

of course using the actual ip address, share name, and nas admin password.

Message 45 of 50
arefem
Star

The smb1 client was set, but I was unable to set SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal or SMB 1.0/CIFS Server.

------------

The Security Mode is set to Share.   Possibly this was the default when I reset the NAS.   When I change it to User, I get the following warning message:

Warning!
Changing security mode can cause unexpected permission problems with files created under the previous security setting.
When changing from the Share mode, you may not be able to access existing files until the admin or Administrator user manually change the file access control list (ACL) settings to allow access to the desired user and group accounts.

Click Apply to proceed with changing the security mode.

Is it safe to proceed with this?   Will I need to update settings elsewhere?

------------

I ran the Windows command line settings.   This worked for an existing media share on the NAS, but it failed for the USB drive, both when I accessed it as \\nas\usb_hdd_1 and using the IP address as \\nas-ip-address\usb_hdd_1 (see attachment).

------------

I was surprised to read that there was a 2TB limit to the USB drive.   I am currently below this, but I can see that I will have to manage backups carefully, If I go beyond that.  Maybe I will have to buy a second NAS!   My understanding was that the scheduled backups only saved modified or new files.   Is that the way FreeFileSync via a PC would work?

Message 46 of 50
StephenB
Guru

@arefem wrote:

The Security Mode is set to Share.   Possibly this was the default when I reset the NAS.   When I change it to User, I get the following warning message:

Warning!
Changing security mode can cause unexpected permission problems with files created under the previous security setting.
When changing from the Share mode, you may not be able to access existing files until the admin or Administrator user manually change the file access control list (ACL) settings to allow access to the desired user and group accounts.

Click Apply to proceed with changing the security mode.

Is it safe to proceed with this?   Will I need to update settings elsewhere?

Netgear deprecated Share security years ago, because it stopped working reliable.  There might be a need to adjust file permissions for your shares - that would be done on the "advanced" tab in the share settings.  But first switch to user, and see if that access is needed.

Once you do switch, you either need to use the NAS admin credentials, or create a new NAS user account (and use those credentials instead).

@arefem wrote:

The smb1 client was set, but I was unable to set SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal or SMB 1.0/CIFS Server.

Not a problem.  The client is all you need.  Automatic removal actually isn't what you want - it disables the client silently if you stop using it for a while.  And you don't need the server to access the NAS.

@arefem wrote:

I was surprised to read that there was a 2TB limit to the USB drive.   I am currently below this, but I can see that I will have to manage backups carefully, If I go beyond that.  

Just to clarify - the 2 TB limit is the max disk size.  It doesn't matter if the USB drive is empty or full.  

Netgear discontinued your NAS back in 2011 - back when 3 TB drives were still new tech.  The hardware architecture goes back to 2005 or so, so it predates even 1 TB drives. 

@arefem wrote:

My understanding was that the scheduled backups only saved modified or new files.   Is that the way FreeFileSync via a PC would work?

Yes, it can do incremental backups.  There are other similar tools out there - Robocopy being one that is built into Windows.  But Robocopy is a command line tool, so FreeFileSync is probably simpler for you.

Note I use Acronis TrueImage myself to back up my PCs.  My NAS backups are NAS-to-NAS - so I don't actually use FreeFileSync.

@arefem wrote:

Maybe I will have to buy a second NAS! 

Given the age of your NAS, it is something you should consider.  My own NV+ is a secondary backup.  I'll keep it running as long as it works, but I won't invest in any repairs (power supply, etc).

If you go down that path, you'll need to look at other vendors, as it is apparent to most of us that Netgear is quiet-quitting the NAS business.

Message 47 of 50
arefem
Star

A few things to report:-

I have updated the security mode to User. I didn’t want to do that until I had backed up the current contents of the NAS, as I have started adding new music to it. I used FreeFileSync to update one of my backup discs, and that worked well.

Amazingly (I think), my brother has managed to recover the information from the original NAS disks. I’m pretty sure this took a great deal of work which I don’t claim to fully understand. However, what I believe he did was make a copy of each of the disks, mount them into a virtual machine, and then somehow recover the files. These are now all on one backup disk. He did identify that there were corrupt sectors on two of the disks, so some information may be missing. He provided a list of suspect folders, but luckily, as far as I can see they all coincide with folders I already have on my original backup.

My next step was to copy across to the NAS any files which I have not already added from my out of date backup. Again I used FreeFileSync to identify and copy the missing files. I was able to copy to the NAS using the PC, but with the Mac I ran into a permissions problem which prevented me writing to the NAS (after security mode had been updated to User). After a lot of trial and error connecting and disconnecting volumes on the Mac, I was eventually able to add the NAS media share as a volume on the Mac which I could write to. I’m not exactly sure what I did differently to get this to work.🤔

FreeFileSync is updating the NAS at the moment, and if that is successful I will be back with a working ReadyNAS with all data restored. Many thanks to all for the assistance.

Since updating security mode to User, I haven’t yet tried creating a backup job to a USB drive. I’ll try that next, though I am less concerned about that now that I’ve seen FreeFileSync in action. It looks as though it should be possible to create scheduled backup jobs.

Longer term, If I were to look at another NAS what would be the best options? Back in 2007 the choice seemed to be mainly between ReadyNAS and Buffalo, but now there is a bewildering choice.

Message 48 of 50
StephenB
Guru

@arefem wrote:

Longer term, If I were to look at another NAS what would be the best options? Back in 2007 the choice seemed to be mainly between ReadyNAS and Buffalo, but now there is a bewildering choice.

Personally I'd start with

• Synology
  • Qnap
  • Asustor

I'd also consider getting a thunderbolt enclosure and just connect it to an always-on PC.

Message 49 of 50
SamirD
Prodigy

Great to hear you were not only able to backup, but able to restore from the original nas drives. 🙂

One thing I would do though before you're done is to compare all the files bit-by-bit.  There's a couple of different options for that--windiff by microsoft which is pretty decent but can crash on large compares, and winmerge which has the ability to compare 3x sources at the same time.

As far as a replacement, if you're only looking for something to be a NAS and nothing more, to be honest I would pick up a used readynas as it will be cheap and familiar.  The newer nas units, especially by the bigger brands, want to do much more than just be a nas, so they're a lot more complicated imo.  I have several units from synology and qnap and the older ones running dsm 6 are still fast on older hardware as a straight nas, but you can tell they are having to do a lot more in the background (whatever it is doing), just to keep itself up as a nas.

Message 50 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements