× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - Device is Offline and Lost Volume (over and over again)

MikeC1
Tutor

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - Device is Offline and Lost Volume (over and over again)

Hi,

I know there have been numerous posts on here about this topic previously; they all seem to end with the OP being advised that their only resolution is a Data Recovery job with Netgear Support.

I don't want Data Recovery. And, before anyone chips in about the wisdom of backups... yes, I am fully aware. Here is my scenario:

• I had two ReadyNAS 104 units, both on OS/FW level 6.10.8, both with 4x4tb HDDs installed.
  • Unit 1 (NAS0) was my primary storage used to serve my SOHO environment in realtime;
  • Unit 2 (NAS1) was my backup storage, backed up incrementally everyday and with a full back up every 4 weeks.

A few weeks ago, NAS0 failed (power light and front panel blinking randomly, unable to connect, unable to access via any boot options). I therefore decided to look for a replacement 4-bay NAS and in the meantime remapped my drives to use the NAS1 as the primary unit. All fine, but now I have no redundancy.

The first replacement ReadyNAS104 never arrived and was declared lost by the courier.

The second replacement ReadNAS104 arrived and was so badly damaged in transit as to be unusable.

In despair I looked around again and found an NV+ 2 for sale, with some disks. Bought it with fingers crossed. It's running (well, supposed to be) OS/FW level 5.3.13.

I finally got to grips with accessing /managing it via an 'old' version of Firefox to overcome the security certificate issues Chrome complained about (and prevented access because of). First job was to rebuild it with the disks from my old failed NAS0. Every time I got it to complete a resync with a new (to the NV+V2) unit, as soon as I went to connect to it, I got "Device is Offline" even though the front panel clearly shows it with an acquired IP address.

I tried various strategies, including reverting to the original 3 disks it came with and doing a factory reset with these. This time, I could get onto the device, but as soon as I made any config change (NAS name, use static assigned Ip instead of DHCP assigned), the NV+V2 lost its Volume, making it useless.

I'm not an IT professional, but I have been working with ReadyNAS products for several years and am reasonably confident in what I'm doing. This NV+V2 has got me in despair, with the added pressure that I presently don't have a backup unit.

Is the NV+V2 I have a piece of sh|t? The seller sold it as a fully working unit with no reference to any issues. I've messaged them about all this but have yet to hear back. I am rapidly reaching the point where I might have to chuck it in the skip and look for something completely different.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mike

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - Device is Offline and Lost Volume (over and over again)

@MikeC1 wrote:

Is the NV+V2 I have a piece of sh|t? The seller sold it as a fully working unit with no reference to any issues. I've messaged them about all this but have yet to hear back. I am rapidly reaching the point where I might have to chuck it in the skip and look for something completely different.

It's old (discontinued in 2013).  It was a transistion product between the original NV+ and the OS-6 family (including the RN104).

OS 5.3.x wasn't developed for very long (replaced by OS-6), and is missing a lot of controls that both OS 4.x and OS 6.x have.

NAS1 would be a better primary NAS.  But the NV+ v2 (assuming the hardware is actually ok) is suitable for backup.

If you ditch the NV+ v2, then perhaps look at a different vendor for a replacement. Asustor and Synology look reasonable on paper (I've never owned either, so I can't recommend them from personal experience).  Netgear appears to be quiet-quitting the NAS business.  It should still be possible to set up backup jobs on the RN104 to backup up the replacement.

@MikeC1 wrote:

I finally got to grips with accessing /managing it via an 'old' version of Firefox to overcome the security certificate issues Chrome complained about (and prevented access because of). First job was to rebuild it with the disks from my old failed NAS0. Every time I got it to complete a resync with a new (to the NV+V2) unit, as soon as I went to connect to it, I got "Device is Offline" even though the front panel clearly shows it with an acquired IP address.

This could be disk-related - perhaps test all the disks in a Windows PC using vendor tools.  I generally run the full non-destructive test, and follow that up with a destructive test that zeros the disk.  I have had some disks pass one of those tests, but fail the other.

@MikeC1 wrote:

A few weeks ago, NAS0 failed (power light and front panel blinking randomly, unable to connect, unable to access via any boot options). 

Did you try swapping power adapters with NAS1?

Message 2 of 3
NiveditaP
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - Device is Offline and Lost Volume (over and over again)

Hello @MikeC1 

Could you please check the attached screenshot for disk replacement compatibility : Screenshot .

Have a lovely day, 
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements