× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 will not power on

FrankLieder
Initiate

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 will not power on

After years of service, my ReadyNAS is no longer powering on.

It will not turn on when the power button is pressed... no LCD and no fan. I don't think its the power supply because the network link light is lit and flashing.

Any ideas?

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 will not power on

First of all, if your NAS has an internal PSU it is a v1 (the labels can be confusing).

A v2

• says NV+ v2 on the front chassis
  • uses an external power brick
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

A v1 

• says NV+ on the front chassis
  • has an internal PSU
  • runs 4.1.x firmware

@FrankLieder wrote:

I don't think its the power supply because the network link light is lit and flashing.

It could still be the supply (for instance 12 volts might have failed).  Though normally the LCD will show something when the network LED is lit (they use the same power rail).

Try powering down the NAS, removing the disks (label them by slot!).  Then power up, and see if it comes up with a "no disks" status.

It could also be a memory failure (which you could fix) or a system board failure (which is not repairable).  Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 7
FrankLieder
Initiate

Definitely a v2 (says on front panel and external power brick).

I've already removed (and labelled the disks!). No joy, still dead.

I don't have an explicit backup of the data as this is my TimeMachine backup system. I have other system backups, so not a big deal.

How can I diagnose memory vs motherboard failure?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@FrankLieder wrote:

How can I diagnose memory vs motherboard failure?

Oops - my comment on memory only applied to the v1.  The v2's memory is soldiered on to the system board.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

It could still be the supply (for instance 12 volts might have failed).  Though normally the LCD will show something when the network LED is lit (they use the same power rail).

Are you sure?  The NV+V2 has a soft power-on circuit and WoL capability, which usually means a separate +5VSB bus for those functions, including the NIC (though still sourced ultimately to the 12V of the brick).  If the NIC LED is on when the NAS is off, then goes off when the NAS is turned on (but doesn't actually go on), that could indicate too high a load for the power supply to handle, and could be a failing power supply.  If the NIC LED stays on, it's probably because something is dragging down one of the other busses or the power-on circuit is no longer functioning, neither if which is repairable.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:
The NV+V2 has a soft power-on circuit and WoL capability, which usually means a separate +5VSB bus for those functions, including the NIC (though still sourced ultimately to the 12V of the brick).  If the NIC LED is on when the NAS is off, then goes off when the NAS is turned on (but doesn't actually go on), that could indicate too high a load for the power supply to handle, and could be a failing power supply.  If the NIC LED stays on, it's probably because something is dragging down one of the other busses or the power-on circuit is no longer functioning, neither if which is repairable.

You know more about this topic than I do.  The way I read your reply, this wouldn't be the power brick - it would be circuitry on the system board (which isnt repairable).

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If the power brick is failing, and thus incapable of supplying enough power or high enough voltage to all the circuitry when it's on, but is supplying enough to supply the +5VSB DC-to-DC converter and limited attached circuitry, then it could be the supply.  Checking the input voltage and current under load can help figure that out, but most users don't have that capability and it's not definative.

I would not guess the likelihood of this being the case to be high enough to  do a speculative purchase of a replacement supply.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements