× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NVX - Error formatting EXT3 - Case #22529086

alldidasmc
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NVX - Error formatting EXT3 - Case #22529086

I am trying to format an external 3TB drive for backups.

I first ordered and tried a Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, hoping its presence on the HCL would help. I connected externally through a Sharkoon dock, which has been reported compatible by other NVX users. I have been using this dock without issue backing up to various Hitachi & Seagate 1.5TB & 2TB drives for about three years. I tested the dock + new drive combination on a Windows 7 machine and created an NTFS file system without trouble (and added files, etc. No problems). I cannot format it on the NVX; I've tried FAT32, EXT3, and EXT4; just keeps failing. I am running RAIDiator 4.2.25. I have downloaded all logs, but cannot find anything indicating the cause of the problem.

Error: "Error making EXT3 filesystem on the USB device"

I RMA'd the drive and ordered a WD Red WD30EFRX. Same problem.

I've had a case open with Netgear Support for almost a week. Supposedly it's escalated. No response.

ETA: Case Number @ end of title

-Robert
Message 1 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS NVX - Error making EXT3 filesystem on ST3000DM0

Hmm, I'm able to make ext3 and ext4 filesystems with no issue on a 3TB USB drive. Do you have a case number?
Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NVX - Error making EXT3 filesystem on ST3000DM0

If you do have a case number, please edit the title of the post, and add it to the end. That lets Netgear support correlate the case and the posts here.
Message 3 of 7
alldidasmc
Aspirant

Added Case #.

The formatting has failed now on two different drives, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 & WD Red WD30EFRX. Both tested fine on another machine using the same dock. I have used the same dock for years without problems on the ReadyNAS.

Engineering came back reporting drive errors, but I have had problems with the Engineers in the past reporting what they thought were drive errors but were actually NOT. I have worked with multiple engineers before that could not properly read a Smart+ log.

And, again, everything works fine - with TWO different drives - on another machine.

-Robert
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Maybe post the SMART+ log (editing out the serial numbers)?
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your USB drive formatted with GPT with protective MBR. If not you should make sure it is. Then try formatting it using the NAS again.
Message 6 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There is a confirmed bug with formatting >2TB drives that do not already have a GPT with protective MBR. It will be fixed in 4.2.27.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements