× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 4 stuck at booting after factory reset

payyy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 4 stuck at booting after factory reset

Hi, ReadyNAS was working just fine. Simply did a factory reset with new drives since the previous volume could no longer be expanded further. Process went as expected, created a new volume with RAIDar, the unit then rebooted itself and its only 'Booting...' ever since. Did the whole process twice with the same result

thanks for any help

-marc

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
payyy
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 stuck at booting after factory reset

Edit : Missed the text ERR : Could not properly extract quickly showing up on the LCD. same happens during a OS Reinstall. I have tried to do a USB Recovery but it just stalls with the cursor flashing on the LCD.

Searching older posts for similar issues, I see that most similar cases were resolved by mdgm-ntgr, which is now gone, I assume there is a telnet command to clear the corrupt flash and get a fresh firmware on the device.

anyone know how?

thanks

Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

The older units are very particular about the USB flash used.  Basiclly, the older, the better.  Have you tried more than one?

Message 3 of 11
payyy
Aspirant

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@payyy wrote:

Searching older posts for similar issues, I see that most similar cases were resolved by mdgm-ntgr, which is now gone, I assume there is a telnet command to clear the corrupt flash and get a fresh firmware on the device.

One of the current mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) might be willing to help.  You can also try paid support ( my.netgear.com).  Ask for per-incident support.

Message 5 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi payyy,

Can you boot the NAS in Tech Support mode? If you can, please boot it in Tech Support mode then send to me the 5-digit code via private message.

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
payyy
Aspirant

Hello,

It did boot in tech support mode yesterday... and now I cannot get back to the boot menu, I guess I must have bricked it trying the usb recovery too many times

thanks for trying to help

Message 7 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi payyy,

You can try removing the disks first then try booting the NAS in Tech Support mode. If it successfully boots, you can reinsert the disks.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
payyy
Aspirant

No.. it does not boot at all, just a flashing square on the LCD.

Message 9 of 11
payyy
Aspirant

Since the chassis appears dead, I tried to order a new one, but there is no stock anywhere in Canada of most ReadyNAS models, does anyone know why?
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@payyy wrote:
Since the chassis appears dead, I tried to order a new one, but there is no stock anywhere in Canada of most ReadyNAS models, does anyone know why?

I believe that the coronavirus has disrupted manufacturing and distribution.  Though that's speculation on my part.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements