× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 Temperature

steveoelliott
Luminary

ReadyNAS Pro 6 Temperature

Hi all,

I am concerned that my NAS may be running hotter than it should (ideally).

System temp is around 57 degree and CPU 24.5 degreee (celsius). Hard drives are 40 - 44 c.

Fan System < 893 rpm
Fan CPU 2083 rpm

Can others share theirs for me?

Thanks...
Message 1 of 44
StephenB
Guru

Fan SYS 953 RPM
Fan CPU 2163 RPM
System Temp is 58 C. CPU is 27.5 C. Drives range from 35-43 C.
Message 2 of 44
vandermerwe
Master

Ultra 6 +
Sys 55
CPU 22.5. I have always thought that these are the wrong way round, CPU cannot possibly be that cool!

Sys fan 932
CPU fan 2250

Disks 32-36
Message 3 of 44
onimod
Aspirant

Fan SYS 1308 RPM
Fan CPU 1534 RPM
Temp SYS 58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F]
Temp CPU 28 C / 82 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F]
Dives (6) 40-42
Message 4 of 44
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

RAIDiator 4.2.22 fix the issue, it will be released these days.
Message 5 of 44
vandermerwe
Master

What issue has been fixed - the CPU / system labels?
I asked this question a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=52630
Message 6 of 44
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Fix CPU temperature issue.
Message 7 of 44
steveoelliott
Luminary

Well looking at these values, looks like mine is normal but high 50's is towards the high end of the temperature scale.
Message 8 of 44
vandermerwe
Master

4.2.22 seems to be the same. I checked temperatures before updating, then after, almost identical. Range for CPU 0-85c
What has been fixed?
Message 9 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

Evan, more detail on what was fixed? Your message was not clear on what issue was addressed.
Message 10 of 44
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Fix CPU temperature issue when system power on.
Message 11 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

So ranges on power up were erratic before, and that is fixed? This thread was going on run-time values being way off, and possible labels being backwards.
Message 12 of 44
OLBJAN
Aspirant

I'm on 4.2.22 and labels are still backwards. Either that or the CPU is really 30°C colder than everything surrounding it.
-Jan
Message 13 of 44
tiranor
Aspirant

Several people in the french community (including the french sub-forum here) have a problem with the ultra6/pro6 temp. Each one, after the 4.2.22 update, reported a bugged constant 50°C CPU temp.
Message 14 of 44
beisser1
Aspirant

OLBJAN wrote:
I'm on 4.2.22 and labels are still backwards. Either that or the CPU is really 30°C colder than everything surrounding it.
-Jan

the CPU really IS running cooler than everything else since its the only thing receiving active cooling. everything else just gets the little airflow from the chassis fan.
Message 15 of 44
vandermerwe
Master

Why does the "system" temperature get so high so quickly then, it reaches mid 50s celcius almost immediately after booting from cold, and the "CPU" temp seems to vary according to environmental temperature.
Also there are postings of temperatures from other readynas units that indicate high cpu temperatures which is what I would expect, for example:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66947

Now... surely the labels are reversed?
Message 16 of 44
beisser1
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Why does the "system" temperature get so high so quickly then, it reaches mid 50s celcius almost immediately after booting from cold, and the "CPU" temp seems to vary according to environmental temperature.
Also there are postings of temperatures from other readynas units that indicate high cpu temperatures which is what I would expect, for example:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66947

Now... surely the labels are reversed?

all atom-based nas (including the one in the thread you linked to) have absolutely NO active cpu cooling. they are all beeing passively cooled by the chassis fan so they will of course get hot.

you need to compare apples with apples here.

it is a fact that the labels are not reversed.
Message 17 of 44
tiranor
Aspirant

But, why do many people with ultra 6 NAS get constant 50°C since 4.2.22, even people who had working 35-40°C before ?
Message 18 of 44
bajorgensen
Aspirant

I can confirm the permanent 50 degrees on the Ultra 6 with .22 as well.
Even thought the atom cpu has a passive heat sink, the fan blows pretty well over the cpu.
The case is pretty well designed. I've replaces the fan with a more quiet and effective on, and disabled the PSU fan.
Very quiet and no problems!
Message 19 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

bajorgensen that would of course have voided your warranty. A replacement fan might not cool the system properly leading to higher temperatures than would otherwise be the case. Now so long as the temperatures don't get too hot you'd hopefully be O.K. but NetGear does optimise fan control etc. for the fans they use and other fans may not do an adequate job.

I don't think disabling the PSU fan was a good idea either. Any fans used would be used with good reason. If it isn't properly cooled the PSU could overheat.
Message 20 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

There are dead zones in the case, that without the PSU fan circulating air, components will die faster.
Message 21 of 44
cmchoi
Aspirant

My Pro 6 temperature under normal load:
Temp SYS 55 C / 131 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F]
Temp CPU 30.5 C / 86 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F]

Is this normal? It seems it is 5 degree higher then norm.
Message 22 of 44
chirpa
Luminary

Intel says the core temperature reading could be +/- 10C.
Message 23 of 44
PapaBear1
Guide

My Pro 6 temps:
Temp SYS 51 C / 123 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F]
Temp CPU 28.5 C / 83 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F]

Unit is in a spare room with current house temp at 74 F.
Message 24 of 44
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

Temp SYS	58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F]
Temp CPU 35.5 C / 95 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F]

It has always bothered me that the Pro 6 System temperature is close to the end of the normal range (65 C). In summer it went over that a few times which caused it to issue alerts. The strange thing is it doesn't seem to increase the system fan RPM as the system temperature increases, just the CPU fan. This also made me think the labels were the wrong way round.
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements