× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 Temperature

Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

bajorgensen wrote:
I can confirm the permanent 50 degrees on the Ultra 6 with .22 as well.
Even thought the atom cpu has a passive heat sink, the fan blows pretty well over the cpu.
The case is pretty well designed. I've replaces the fan with a more quiet and effective on, and disabled the PSU fan.
Very quiet and no problems!

I have the problem with the constant 50 degrees as well on a readynas ultra 6 running 4.2.22. Before the cpu was running at around 28-40 the new constant 50 makes the fans spin faster and make an annoying high pitched noise. Is there any way to roll back to 4.2.21 because this really feels like a software bug (i can turn off the unit for a while boot it 50 degrees cpu, run a lot of cpu heavy things, still 50 degrees cpu 😞
Message 26 of 44
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ney wrote:
bajorgensen wrote:
Even thought the atom cpu has a passive heat sink, the fan blows pretty well over the cpu.
The case is pretty well designed. I've replaces the fan with a more quiet and effective on, and disabled the PSU fan.

I have the problem with the constant 50 degrees as well on a readynas ultra 6 running 4.2.22. Before the cpu was running at around 28-40 the new constant 50 makes the fans spin faster and make an annoying high pitched noise. Is there any way to roll back to 4.2.21 because this really feels like a software bug (i can turn off the unit for a while boot it 50 degrees cpu, run a lot of cpu heavy things, still 50 degrees cpu 😞

Ok i figured out that a rollback was easy as pie. And CPU temperatures are now back to normal! 😄 So I at least can recommend people with constant 50C temperatures to roll back to 21.
Message 27 of 44
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi all,
CPU temperature on Ultra 2/4/6, Pro 2/4,
Display 50C for DTS reading if CPU temperature < 50 degree C,
The below is all about CPU temperature reading:
1. Intel processors have two temperature monitoring mechanism, thermal diode and Digital Thermal Sensing (DTS)
2. Thermal diode is not accurate, its accuracy is prone to PCB layout, component variation, to use it, the system needs to be calibrate individually.
3. DTS reading is relative temperature compare to Tjunction. The Tjunction is maximum temperature the CPU can safely reach, beyond Tj, the CPU may be damaged. Linux coretemp driver translates relative temperature to human readable temperature, i.e. in Celtics degree.

We decided to use DTS for RNDU2/4/6, Pro2/4, the following must be taken care when DTS is used:
1. During a period time after boot, DTS reading may be shown as “Resource temporarily unavailable”
2. During a period time after boot, DTS reading may be very low, e.g. < 30C
3. When CPU is overheating, DTS reading may be shown as “Resource temporarily unavailable”, Also kernel log shows CPU speed throttle kicks in.

Because of above reasons, we decided to do following:
1. For any DTS reading less than 50C or “Resource temporarily unavailable”, display CPU temperature as 50C, this is per Intel’s guide line: Anything below 50C is OK and should be treated as reference only
2. CPU overheating shall never happen, guaranteed by hardware design, we stress CPU to its TDP under 40C room temperature. So there will be no overheating in promised operational range. Software does not need to handle overheating reading of “Resource temporarily unavailable”.
3. Intel CPU has two hardware mechanism to prevent overheating should we fail our hardware guarantee(which is very unlikely): CPU speed throttle and CPU thermal shutdown
Message 28 of 44
tiranor
Aspirant

Thanks for the clear answer.
Message 29 of 44
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

Thanks but this thread has gone off topic - as per thread title, it was about the high system temperature on the "PRO 6" compared to the low CPU temperature. The Pro 6 SYSTEM temperature never seems to go under 55C for me in a room with a temperature of 23C currently. It reaches 55 very quickly after power on from cold. All fans working/free from dust.
Message 30 of 44
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

There is CPU fan in Pro6, so CPU temperature is low, I need to ask RD to check Pro 6's system temperature.
There is not CPU fan in Ultra 2/4/6 and Pro 2/4,
Message 31 of 44
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

evan wrote:
There is CPU fan in Pro6, so CPU temperature is low, I need to ask RD to check Pro 6's system temperature.
There is not CPU fan in Ultra 2/4/6 and Pro 2/4,

Thank you, it would also be interesting to learn where the sensor is located for the system temperature in the Pro 6.
Message 32 of 44
steveoelliott
Luminary

Something I don't get is why the FAN's don't spin faster.

When I go to calibrate mine and they speed up, the temperature drops significantly rather than the system sitting constantly at 50 degree.
Message 33 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Most people don't like the noise from the fans spinning fast.
Message 34 of 44
steveoelliott
Luminary

Guess that makes sense, not everybody would have it sitting in a rack in a cupboard.

Shame they can't be tweaked, although I suspect if temperature reaches more critical levels, they spin faster.
Message 35 of 44
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree it would be nice if you could have a few fan settings:

1. Quiet - run fans quietly when possible and spinning up fans when needed
2. Cool - run fans faster to keep the temperatures a bit lower. Spin up fans to faster speeds when needed.
Message 36 of 44
jrc72
Aspirant

Ney wrote:
Ney wrote:
bajorgensen wrote:

Ok i figured out that a rollback was easy as pie. And CPU temperatures are now back to normal! 😄 So I at least can recommend people with constant 50C temperatures to roll back to 21.

Ok I am also tired of my system temp sitting at 50dC and the damn fan cutting in and out constantly, even at a room temp of 16dC the fan starts and stops, which is crazy.

Am unsure to go mucking around with my NAS and Raidar. Wondering how you did the roll back. Did you simple uninstall it and reload the older version? A few simple steps for us how yu performed this would be great.

Thanks
Johnno
Message 37 of 44
StephenB
Guru

Download the firmware you want to re-install, unzip, and install it via frontview. 4.2.21 can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=6469

If you are going back too far there would be an issue, but not if you are going back to 4.2.21. What firmware are you running now?
Message 38 of 44
jrc72
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Download the firmware you want to re-install, unzip, and install it via frontview. 4.2.21 can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=6469

If you are going back too far there would be an issue, but not if you are going back to 4.2.21. What firmware are you running now?

I am running 4.2.22 and even this morning with a room temp of 14dC and a fresh startup of the NAS ( on schedule for auto start at 7am ) the NAS fans went berserk and has been doing same since...

So do I just install this over the existing firmware then? I will await for your reply before attempting the rollback. I am assuming it is as simple as you said, dl, unzip, install via frontview. I am sceptical and can NOT afford to screw my NAS is all. 8TB of data and no other backup.. yes I know... I am looking into tape as my secondary backup but pricey.

EDIT: Well I simply downloaded the file from the link provided, installed via Frontview and let the NAS perform the reboots.

Device Description Status
Disk 1 Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST32000542AS 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 Seagate ST32000542AS 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 Seagate ST32000542AS 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 2109 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1430 RPM OK
Temp SYS 46 C / 114 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK ------ This is normally sitting on 50C, as high as 51.2C, immediately now at 46C, possible bug in .22 firmware? Fan has now literally ' stopped ' on high spin. Peace & quiet has once again returned...
Temp CPU 20.5 C / 68 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK
UPS 1 Not present NA

I ask as the only thing I have had to do with my NAS is change out dead HDD's - I really need to get those WD Reds...

EDIT: Successfull Roll-Back worked without errors, phew... Fan appears to be running on high still as I write this, now it has reduced to lower speed. Will watch and listen and update as it goes. Has only made a small difference, the fans are still ramping up their speed. I have even placed a small desk fan facing away from the side panel where the CPU blows out to hopefully draw more air through and out of the unit until I get this sorted. Thinking going to have to buy one of those portable AC units and make my own AC case. The summer is only ramping up here in Australia, is only spring and we have already had 34dC weather, forbid what happens when summer actually hits.

Ok no this hasn't stopped the fan from spinning up... this is so annoying do I rollback another one or not? As above I have blown ( with the air compressor ) the entire unit out. hmmm perhaps I need to install another fan internally somehow
Thankyou also.
Message 39 of 44
jerryk1
Aspirant

Another data point

CPU Temp 21C 2057 RPM
Sys Temp 56C 897 RPM

The room temp is perhaps 23C.

I hate to have to rollback to get things to cool off, but will if I have to. Does anyone know where the system temp sensor is located?
Message 40 of 44
StephenB
Guru

I am seeing similar temps on my Pro-6 (4.2.24)

CPU Temp 25 C / 2191 RPM
SYS Temp 56 C / 932 RPM

Though the fan noise is not a problem for me, as long as the unit stays within safe temp limits I am ok.
Message 41 of 44
yknott
Aspirant

Does anyone know what the SYS temperature actually measures? I know it's the system temperature, but where is it measuring this from? Is it on the logic board behind the hard drives? Or maybe the north/southbridge beneath the heatsink?
Message 42 of 44
sander11
Aspirant

I was actually wondering this too. I was going to give my system a good cleaning since I'm going to upgrade the ram and noticing the temperatures have been a little warmer than usual.
Message 43 of 44
jrc72
Aspirant

Well sadly to say that even after the rollback 4.2.21 the NAS fan constantly cut in and out even after 5mins from a fresh cold bootup my system fan has actually died...

Upto this point I have had zero issues with the NAS or any of its hardware and I would assume that the constant fan cutting in and out was caused to the system fan either failing ( on its way out naturally, which I doubt ) or has failed due to this constant cutting in and out from some other reason which is unknown to me.

I decided to scale this up and contacted Netgear regarding this issue, emailed the NAS logs to Netgear Support and received the response that the system fan has failed ( confirmed my own visual reading of the logs ) and Netgear have actually replaced the entire NAS 600e with an entire NEW unit, not a refurbished unit, but NEW, ll because of a $20 fan failure.

Wow totally amazed at the lengths of the replacement that Netgear has gone to. Well, regardless my system fan as stopped cutting in and out every 3minutes as it was doing previously after firmware 4.2.25 install. Perhaps others with this fan cutting in and out need to keep an eye on the system fan in case your system fan is failing also.

Best of luck to you all.

A H U G E Thankyou to all Netgear Support involved and for fixing and replacing the unit. Totally happy now I went for a Netgear item and not another cheaper knock off NAS.

Netgear Rocks!!!
Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements