× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

oshae
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

Curious if anyone with a ReadyNAS Pro 6 (Upgraded to OS6), is running WD 8TB Reds?

I'm planning to upgrade my 3TBs over the next few months. Wondering if there are any issues? I did read something about a specific model having a 3.3v pin on the drive which causes problems with older PSUs. But I'm looking at the WD80EFAX models that are still available and don't have this.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

Hi @oshae

The 8TB WD Reds WD80EFAX should work fine as they are NAS purposed drives. Pro 6 on OS 6 will support this capacity or even higher. Just make sure you get the drive without the 3.3v Pin

The issue with the 3.3v is that Pin 3 does not have any connection so the drive may or may not spin up that is why drives without that feature is not advised.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @oshae

The 8TB WD Reds WD80EFAX should work fine as they are NAS purposed drives. Pro 6 on OS 6 will support this capacity or even higher. Just make sure you get the drive without the 3.3v Pin

The issue with the 3.3v is that Pin 3 does not have any connection so the drive may or may not spin up that is why drives without that feature is not advised.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
oshae
Tutor

Yes defintiely helpful, thank you! WD80EFAX is what I'm planning to get.

Curious though for the future. Is it the backplane, or the power supply in the Pro 6 that is the issue? Would a power supply upgrade in the Pro 6 fix the issue? In the event that down the line, the only thing available are drives with the 3.3V pin?

Or is the messages essentially, if/when this start happening it's time for a NAS upgrade?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@oshae wrote:

In the event that down the line, the only thing available are drives with the 3.3V pin?

It is possible to isolate the pin on the drive with some Kapton (polymide) tape. 

If you google "pwdis kapton" and/or "pwdis polymide" you'll see several guides.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

It's the backplane that's the issue,  But that pin and all 3.3V pins are already floating on a Pro 6, which is what the tape will do.  I do not know of any desktop ReadyNAS that has a connection to the 3.3V pins on the SATA backplane.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I agree that all the tape does is make sure the pin is floating.

So if the pin is floating in the backplane,the tape isn't needed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements