× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition died

laalves1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition died #24586841

Hi all,

Yesterday night my NAS died. Turned itself off and that was it. Does not turn on no matter what I do. Took the PSU out to have a look inside: no bulged capacitors. Shorted green to ground and the PSU boots and all voltages measure correctly.

What could I be looking at? I have no spare CPU or RAM to try them out. Could this be any of those, the motherboard or something else entirely?

Would really appreciate any help, all my backups are in this thing, this NAS really is fundamental for my business.

Luis
Message 1 of 24
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Did you somehow try to power on the NAS without any drives inside the NAS?

Also, have you tried plugging in your NAS to another power outlet or try using another power cable?
Message 2 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Hi, no I didn't remove the drives. Should I try that? How do I ensure I don't loose data? And yes, I tried a different outlet and different cable. I also measured voltages in the cable, in the contacts of the PSU inlet and in the switch. Power is reaching the PSU and, as I said, the PSU boots if I force it to, disconnected from the ReadyNAS and all its voltages measure ok in its plugs (3.3, 5, 12, etc)
Message 3 of 24
RX
Luminary
Luminary

laalves wrote:
Hi, no I didn't remove the drives. Should I try that? How do I ensure I don't loose data?

Pull-out the drives and label them accordingly from which bay you have pulled out then power on the NAS without any drives in it. Check if it will boot up and if it will be detected by RAIDar.

If ever it will not boot without any drives inside then we could conclude that the NAS chassis is faulty.
Message 4 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Ok, just removed the drives and tried to boot. It didn't. Strangely, with the power cord plugged in, whether the PSU switch is on or off and with or without drives the LAN lights blink dimly, despite not having the LAN cables plugged. What do I do?
Message 5 of 24
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Its clear that the NAS chassis is faulty. I would assume that your NAS is out of warranty and you have already took out its power supply so its warranty is void already.

The NAS model you have is already End-Of-Life. However, there are some stores wherein its still available (if I'm not mistaken) so you have an option to purchase the same NAS model either from a store or from another person (of course, that will be a 2nd hand unit). If ever you have purchased the same NAS Pro model, then you could just insert the existing drives accordingly to their respective bays and the data would be accessible again.

Otherwise, you could purchase a new ReadyNAS OS 6 model such as the RN316 or RN516 (for me, this is what I prefer). If ever you have purchased either a RN316 or RN516, contact Netgear Support so that they could guide you on how to retrieve your data first before setting it up the new NAS.
Message 6 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Doesnt netgear sell replacement motherboards?
Message 7 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

is it possible to migrate the data in my 6 disks (XRAID2 with dual redundancy) from the RND6130 4.2.27 to the new 316/516 running the new OS?
Message 8 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a procedure for you to move your disks across, backup your data, then do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.
Message 9 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Does that work also for the iSCSI drive I have in it, mounted in my Mac OS X Server?
Message 10 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm not sure about that.
Message 11 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Mmmmm.... Most of my data is in that iSCSI drive, how can I find that out? I already opened a ticket with Netgear support, I might as well ask them that.
Message 12 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think it may need to be started manually by support
Message 13 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

If they assure me it can be done I would pull the trigger this weekend and order one 316 which is enough for my needs. I opened ticket 24586841 yesterday but so far nothing. It is frustrating that the 5-year warranty expired just 6 months ago.
Message 14 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition died #24586841

Just to update, support assured it can be done but only with the 516 (because it's officially the replacement), so I ordered one, due to arrive Friday or Monday, even though the cheaper 316 would be just fine for me. I'm not happy with having to buy the 516 over the 316, but I'll see how this goes.
Message 15 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 516 is the logical replacement for a Pro BE. There is no reason a 316 could not be used for this.

The 316 may not be a step up performance wise from the Pro BE but particularly for home use this may not be important.

The 516 does have a much faster processor than the 316 and double the RAM.

It's software RAID. Like the Pro BE both the 316 and 516 have Intel processors.

Having said that the 516 I think is cheaper than what the Pro BE would have been back when you got it and the 516 has a CPU which can transcode 1080p video. It's a very powerful NAS and I use one at home and love it.

When the 516 arrives and you open a case let me know the new case number.
Message 16 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

Its clear that the NAS chassis is faulty. I would assume that your NAS is out of warranty and you have already took out its power supply so its warranty is void already.

I suppose that depends on what you call the "chassis". This sounds like a typical power supply failure to me, and the no-load power supply test done is highly ineffective.

A standard ATX power supply can be plugged into the Pro BE (and other 6-bay Pro models) to see if it's the power supply or something else. Then you can decide to replace the supply (they are easy to get, see other threads on that) or just use the external supply for power long enough to back up the contents.

Unfortunately, this information is probably too late for the OP, but maybe will help someone else.
Message 17 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

Hi,

I did try with an external standard ATX PSU to no avail, it didn't boot. I'm pretty sure it's not that, I suspect motherboard.
Message 18 of 24
mogi
Aspirant

Hi,
have the same problem after 6 years running time of a ready nas pro 6: If power supply is hard switched off for more than 5 days, the device will start only delayed (20 min), yellow network LED is flickering. On my measurements on power supply connector, removed from mainboard the 5V standby Voltage is quit in normal range. ; bring ing Ps_on signal on connector (green wire) to ground -->Power supply starts immediately (harddisks starting) So far function of Power supply is Ok. But if the power connector is plugged on mainboard - the power supply is not starting. If i measure the 5V standby voltage, the real voltage is only between 4,5 and 4,65V - to less for right function for start procedure on Mainboard. After latest 20 min. the voltage jump up to 5,0V and the Nas starts to work in a proper way. If the Nas is switched off by software or ist the interruption of main power supply only a couple of hours, the standby voltage is still at 5V and the Nas can be restarted with the power on button without any delay
My assumption is now, the power supply has a problem to power the parts of the mainboard supplied by 5V stby line after a longer loss of main power (hard switch off).
Has anyone experiance to power the Nas with an "external" power supply? In my next step I'd replace the power supply. Is this power supply with this special form factor availabe in the market ? A link to buy this is appreciated.
Any other ideas or comments ?
Message 19 of 24
craigshake
Aspirant

Mogi, I had the same issue with one of my Pro6 BE's but just left it running without resolving the issue. Moved office this week so the thing was unplugged for a while. I've had it plugged in for a good 2 hours now and it won't turn on. I suspect our PSU's are dying/dead.
Message 20 of 24
craigshake
Aspirant

Actually, just plugged in another PSU and proved it. Hmmm guess I can't buy a replacement PSU for my Pro6?
Message 21 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't sell replacement PSUs. We replace the entire unit if it fails under the 5 year limited hardware warranty.
Message 22 of 24
laalves1
Aspirant

In my case, it didn't boot with an external ATX PSU I tried.
Message 23 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Then maybe something else is wrong with your unit or the PSU you tried was not suitable. Do you have a backup of your data?
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements