× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition with Os 6 and upgrade Bios (v2)

sylvainp
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition with Os 6 and upgrade Bios (v2)

Hi all, lately I upgrade my Readynas Pro business Edition with a new CPU (E7600) 4GB of OCZ Platinum PC8500 and latest OS.

So far so good and work great. Now I want to upgrade the Hard drives.

At the moment I have 2 WD Red 3TB and 4 WD RE3 500GB. I planned to buy WD RED or the WD RED Pro. I know the WD Red 3TB is working great and I wanted to know if I can use the WD RED 4TB or WD RED Pro 4TB on my NAS. So I have a mix of size and also RPM speed (The Red at around 5900 RPM and the 500GB at 7200 RPM). I use RAID-X (expandable volume)

Is it worth paying the extra money to get the WD Red Pro instead of the WD Red ?

What would be the maximum size Hard drive for my setup ? (3TB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB) and also the maximum total size permited ? Is it still limit to 16TB total ?

Thank you !

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition with Os 6 and upgrade Bios (v2)

with os 6 there are no known limits.

I have 8 tb drives in my readynas for a couple years now with no issues, all of my readynas are running os 6, 3 of them are legacy os 4 devices.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@sylvainp wrote:

Is it worth paying the extra money to get the WD Red Pro instead of the WD Red ?

Both are good options.  I've gone with the Red myself, and get good perfomance.  The Pros do have a longer warranty, and the higher RPM ought to yield faster seek times - so they might be a bit snappier on browsing and small file transfers.  However they will use more power and give you somewhat higher temps.  

Message 3 of 10
sylvainp
Aspirant

So I can use 3TB to 8TB drives ?

I was thiking to buy 2x 4TB Red or Red Pro and use them with the 2x 3TB Red I already have and remove the 500GB drives. So I will probably going to use 4 bigger drives instead of 6 for now. Buy other later if I will need it.

I will have to check for the best $/TB
Message 4 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

yes you should be able to use any size drives that conform to standard hardrive specifications.

do keep in mind, the bigger the drives, the bigger the array, the longer it will take for rebuilds/expansions/etc.

One should consider raid6/dual redundancy if they have 6 or more bay device. You do lose 2 disks of space, but the extra safety during a rebuild or expansion may save your data and your sanity.

But always remember, Raid is never a substitute for backsups. Backups = multiple copies of your data, on multiple devices, and ideally in multiple locations. Consider things like fire/flood/theft etc.

Message 5 of 10
sylvainp
Aspirant

At the moment I have 6 drives installed and when I did a factory reset in OS 6 I never had the option to use 2 drive for parity.

X-raid seems to select only 1 drive for parity up to 6 drive bay setup. On OS 4.xx i had the option to select 1 or 2 disk for parity

Maybe their is a work around in OS 6
Message 6 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

to switch to raid 6/dual redundancy on os 6, you must delete the default volume and create a new raid 6 volume. Then you can switch back to x-raid mode and it will stay dual redundancy with the regular x-raid auto expansion.

Another thing to keep in mind with dual redundancy, you would need to upgrade at least 4 disks before the array can expand.

But the peace of mine for extra safety is worth it to me, I run dual redundancy in my 6 and 8 bay devices, while my ultra 4 is regular single redunancy.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@sylvainp wrote:

I will have to check for the best $/TB

At the moment $/TB is approximately flat between 4 TB and 12 TB drives - roughly $30/TB.  Drives < 4 TB and drives > 12 TB aren't as cost-effective.

Message 8 of 10
sylvainp
Aspirant

One more question: is it better to have all 6 bays filled with hard drives or only use 4 (2x4TB and 2x3TB) ?

Why i ask is because i have a bunch of 500GB that i could use to fill the 2 empty bays

Message 9 of 10
TeknoJnky
Hero

well, you can't expand with smaller drives than is currently in use.

theoretically you could switch off x-raid mode and manually add a second or third volume with the extra drives, but they would not increase the space of the existing volume.

better to put those 500g drives in a usb enclosure or one of those bare drive quick docks and use them for external backups.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements