× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business eth ports + sys fan failed [170393

muggsy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Business eth ports + sys fan failed [17039386]

Hi,
Just opened a new case via neteagr support portal. I have a ReadyNAS Pro which has been working flawlessly until today. Midway thru streamng media it dropped off the network. Rebooted my switch and attempted to connect again. Got eth1 to connect at 100mbtis (normally 1gbit) but eth2 was not connecting at all. Changed cables and tested in my internet router but still same issue. Performed a firmware reinstall but that did not work. After a few reboots both eth ports have failed plus also it is reporting my sys fan has failed. I have removed the side casing and can verify it's the big fan at the back which is not spinning now. Any help would be greatly apprecaited as it's the main media hub in my house 😞
Thanks heaps
Message 1 of 9
arjoseph1
Tutor

Wait for the support's response, but I think this needs a replacement.
Message 2 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

Sounds as if there may be a system board problem to me. But, let tech support work on it with you.
Message 3 of 9
muggsy
Aspirant

They've come back to me., but since I initially logged the fault it's gone a bit weird. The sys fan is now working :), but I get no activity on either ethernet port. When I power the unit on, all I get is the ReadyNAS name displayed on the OLED and that is it. I can't get into the test menu either. I believe this is because the reset button is on the same card as the the eth ports which appear to have failed
Message 4 of 9
muggsy
Aspirant

So it's been almost 4 days of pulling teeth and still not any closer to a resolution. Did finally manage to get it into Tech Support mode, but something is definitely not right. the support I've received is not really up to scratch so far.. but hopefully someone does manage to log in and verify what is at fault so I can get this resolved. Just pasted the details I've added to the support ticket. Logs are available on the ticket as well

I have just gotten off the phone with tech support, which has taken 30 mintues away from my night and gotten nowhere. I have attached the logs. The ReadyNAS seems to power up OK after 24 hours of downtime, but still has an issue with the ethernet ports (ie 1 port at 100mbits and the other port not working). When I rebooted to get into the test menu is hung at the test menu when I tried to put it into Tech support mode. I rebooted and this time it just hung at the ReadyNAS writing which is on the display when you initially turn the unti on

At this point I ran the netgear support. The lady advised me to remove the HDDs and reboot. This booted the unit up, with the HDD missing error. When I shut the unit down and connected the HDDs back again it booted. It still only has 1 ethernet port active at 100mbits.. and the other one is reported as offline. Before I had a round robin interface setup and this is not there either.

As the unit appears to be semi operational I have downloed the logs and attached for you.

I have now actually got it in test mode and into tech support successfully. IP address is 121.xxx.xxx.201.. port 23

Unit will be on until I get an update. Even in the 30 mins the unit has been semi up, I have had 5 alerts about my usb UPS being disconnected. Even though I have not disconnected the unit. Something is wrong and I would like it fixed ASAP. Your help is much appreciated

Arran
Message 5 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

If you still have no connection to your NAS, I would get back with Tech Support.
Message 6 of 9
Sunday_Afterno1
Aspirant

Absolutely! I recently submitted a support request for my ReadyNAS Pro BE regarding the psu fan beginning to sing/squeak. Basically the bearings are beginning to go and I was hoping that there is a way to swap the fan. Turns out there isn't a user way to do this and support almost immediately issued an RMA to replace the chassis. Given your description, it sounds like you have a hardware problem that should be taken care of by the warranty.

PapaBear is right - get back in touch with support.
Message 7 of 9
muggsy
Aspirant

So a little bit of drama... coz of the timezone differences had to wait til Sat morning my time to call.... got transfered about 6 times, got a new case number.. but after an hour of being on the phone I'm getting a replacement chassis. Shipping waived as well. Turns out the returns place is just around the corner from where I work in Auckland so no hassles there either.

So overall, the process could have been better.. a bit more more streamlined.. I'm not sure how my clients would have reacted if it had been their PRO not working correctly for almost 2 weeks

In terms of a replacement chassis, Is it really as simple as swapping the drives and booting? what about any addons etc?
Message 8 of 9
Sunday_Afterno1
Aspirant

muggsy,

I think the ReadyNAS boots from the disks, not the internal flash firmware.

Like you, I was suspicious of just moving my drives across so I played with the new chassis with a spare drive. My replacement shipped with 4.2.17 but my existing setup had 4.2.19. I upgraded the replacement chassis to 4.2.19 with the spare drive which presumably updates the firmware stored on the internal flash.

After I was comfortable that the replacement chassis was working well, including doing a Boot Menu memory test for a few hours, I swapped in the disks from my old chassis. The NAS booted and looks just like the old NAS with all configurations as expected. I don't have many addons installed, but I think they come along for the ride on the disks.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements