× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and large (6TB) WD disks

Lamda
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and large (6TB) WD disks

Hi forum,

I have the above mentioned device and am interested to max it out in terms of disk space. I can see that Western Digital has got a Red NAS disk out that is 6TBs in size (WD60EFRX), however that disk in not on the HCL for my device.

Does anyone know whether this disk will work on my ReadyNAS? Obviously I am going off the HCL, but am unsure to what extent that would cause problems. To be honest, I am not keen to have my problems with my NAS but at the same time, I find the HCL for the Pro Pioneer a bit out of date as there are now disks with bigger sizes available.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and large (6TB) WD disks

On your NAS XRAID has a volume size limit of 16 TiB. In addition, there is a growth limit - a volume cannot expand more than 8 TiB over its lifetime. Those limits are not directly related to raw disk size, but they are relevant to your question.

If you purchased around September 2009, your NAS is out of warranty, so going off the HCL only has support implications if you are using paid support.

Technically there is no reason why you can't install 6 TB drives, doing a factory reset with all disks in place. If you are prepared to do that (and see a need to go beyond the 16 TiB volume ceiling), then perhaps also consider switching your NAS to OS 6.

Of course you can go 6xWD30EFRX or 5xWD40EFRX and stay below the 16 TiB ceiling.
Message 2 of 5
95prelude
Aspirant

Lamda wrote:
Hi forum,

I have the above mentioned device and am interested to max it out in terms of disk space. I can see that Western Digital has got a Red NAS disk out that is 6TBs in size (WD60EFRX), however that disk in not on the HCL for my device.

Does anyone know whether this disk will work on my ReadyNAS? Obviously I am going off the HCL, but am unsure to what extent that would cause problems. To be honest, I am not keen to have my problems with my NAS but at the same time, I find the HCL for the Pro Pioneer a bit out of date as there are now disks with bigger sizes available.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Have you done the upgrade yet with the WD Red 6TB drives yet? I'm looking to do the same upgrade with 6 WD Red 6TB drives in Raid 5 which will yield ~28GB. I'll upgrade the OS at the same time.
Is OS 6.2 even compatible with the ReadyNas Pro Pioneer? I can't seem to find a definite answer.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 5
Lamda
Aspirant

I would be interested to upgrade my NAS to OS 6 but is that at all possible on the ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro? This device must be 5 years old now and hence I am wondering whether the hardware inside that device can actually support the OS 6.

If indeed it is possible to upgrade the Pioneer Pro, how should I go about it? Are there any detailed steps of how to do it?

Thanks.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Apparently you didn't google "ReadyNas Pro Pioneer OS6 site:readynas.com/forum"
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation