× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro - Replace CPU Fan

brb1800
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro - Replace CPU Fan

The 80mm CPU fan on my ReadyNAS Pro Business NAS is starting to go. This is an early model that arrived with the CPU three pin header connected to the daughter board, as opposed to the main board.

The announcment: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12240/~/service-action-for-x86-readynas-pro-cpu-fan-speed-control-(2009-)

My question -

1) Is this correct - the early units had CPU fans with 3 pin header as opposed to 4 pin header, so the fix was to hook up the header to the daughter board which has a 3 pin header?
2) I'd like to get a quiet fan, as opposed to the original fan. I've read in this forum that the Noctua NF-R8 PWM 80mm Case Fan is very good. This has a 4 pin header. Is there anything better for the NAS?
3) Will a 4 pin PWM replacement fan work on the main board 4 pin header with no other hardware or software modification?
4) I assume I'll want to delete/stop the ToggleSwitchProCPUFan cron job once the new fan is connected to the 4 pin header on the main board?

Thanks! My two ReadyNAS Pro's are still going strong. Not ready for the landfill yet.
Message 1 of 14
brb1800
Aspirant

Note the CPU fan wire is attached to the daughter board header toward the rear of the NAS. The rear 120mm case fan attaches to the other header on the daughter board.
After taking the photo the case was vacuumed out the rear 120mm case fan was put back in the case.

The Seasonic PSU was also replaced. This original PSU is in the photo.

Message 2 of 14
tret
Aspirant

Can you go into a little detail about your PSU swap? What PSU did you replace it with? Why? Quieter by chance?

Message 3 of 14
gregb_pro
Aspirant

I have replaced both CPU fan and system fan in a ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition:

Replaced CPU fan:
To:    Cooler Master 80 x 80 x 15mm R4-SPS-20AK-GP, 3-wire

3 versus 4 wire: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm

Replaced system fan:
To:    Noctua 120 x 120 x 25mm NF-P12, 3-wire

Both fans work as expected, and are quieter than factory equiped fans. However, I prefer a bit more airflow because cooler = better life. Also found the CPU heatsink needed additional thermal paste because the factory installed bonding was marginal (use good silver thermal paste).

Also see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/What-s-the-fan-type-size-for-the-Re...

Message 4 of 14
gregb_pro
Aspirant

> Can you go into a little detail about your PSU swap?

> What PSU did you replace it with? Why? Quieter by chance?

Yes, I am also interested in power supply options for a ReadyNAS Pro 6 / Business Edition.

Thanks, gregb

Message 5 of 14
netracer
Apprentice

I happened to just do a power supply swap.  The stock unit is a Seasonic 300W.  I picked one up on Newegg - Seasonic SS-300SFD 300W (Link) BUT - it will require modification.  You will need to buy a 4" 24-pin ATX power extension (e-bay) and you will need to swap the hard drive power connectors.

The original has (3) single 4-pin molex connectors for the drive board, a lengthy braided 24 pin connector and a 4-pin aux connector.

The new unit is more 'standard' and has (2) double 4-pin molex leads with a 4-pin diskette power connector (really?), one double SATA lead, the 4-pin aux connector lead and a 24pin ATX connector lead that is too short.

DO THIS UNPLUGGED PLEASE!!!!!

I removed the old molex connectors and reused, necessary for the SATA cable but I did it on all of them to be neater as the originals have the cables at a 90° offset to the connector (I want to leave room for a 38mm fan someday).

Put the empty molex connectors into the slots on the drive board and cable by cable (maintaining color order) cut to size (route cables first allowing room for fan) and press into the appropriate molex slot.  There are two black cables that doesn't matter if they are flipped.  Put the cap back on.  For each set of leads you want to be sure there is only one molex connected to the drive logic board.  The orange signal cable on the sata lead i just cut off and capped.

I highly advise against using the replacement power supply as is and using both molex connectors on one lead.  This works in a PC where there is a single drive on each molex, but in this chassis there are 3 power connectors supporting 6 drives, so each cable lead is already carrying a two drive electic load.  If you use two connectors off one lead you will effectively have 4 drives on one leg of the PS. It's possible the PS and cable can handle it, but I didn't crunch the numbers and it was easy enough to mod the connector.

Since it's the same unit, it's the same noise.  I was unable to find another PS that fit the bill.  Space is pretty sparse and there is a special mounting offset as well, so this is probably your best bet.  Other than the simple cable mods it was pretty much plug and play.

Message 6 of 14
gregb_pro
Aspirant

Question regarding image of SeaSonic SS-300SFD power supply on NewEgg (link above): The NewEgg image shows the exhaust fan and AC power connector and AC switch are on different sides of the power supply. The back of the ReadyNAS Pro has power supply fan, AC power connector and AC switch all on the back panel of the ReadyNAS Pro. Is there a short AC cable within the ReadyNAS Pro?

Thanks, gregb

Message 7 of 14
netracer
Apprentice

Yes there is.  If you look at the pick from the OP, just under the daughterboard there is a set of pink connectors.  Those lead to the back of the power supply.  There is also a bracket that mounts between the PS and the chassis.  You can remove and reuse the original with 4 screws.

I'd take a closer pic with the PS out, but my NAS is in the middle of rebuiling RAID cause I'm upgrading some of the drives.... 

And if you look at the newegg pics, you see the jumble of cables on the replacement PS that needs modification to match the original drive connectors.

Message 8 of 14
steveoelliott
Luminary

Just a thought, if you are only using 4 out of the 6 drive bays, I guess you can omit one of those 4 min molex connections?

As standard, are there 4 4 pin molex connectors (allbeit doubled up in pairs)... And essentially you changed it so you just have a single molex on each and then modified the sata one to have the 3rd?

Do the molex connectors on the drive board feature a cap so you can easily re-wire?

Message 9 of 14
jpcarro
Star

Thanks netracer...very helpful.  My ReadyNAS Pro 6 just blew it's power supply after 3 years.  Replacement SeaSonic PS was purchased from NewEgg.  Could only find 8" ATX extension, so have more cable in the unit than I'd like, but air circulation and temps look good.  3 days down wasn't too bad. Great instructions along with fan replacement pics from poster fastfwd.

Model: RNDP6630D-200|ReadyNAS® Pro 6|EOL
Message 10 of 14
steveoelliott
Luminary

Rather unlucky to blow after just 3 years, they have 5 year warranty so you could actually have got a new chassis or latest equivilent from Netgear.

BTW, did you make the changes to the molex connectors as details above?

Message 11 of 14
jpcarro
Star

Yeah, I saw I could quickly replace the PS for $50 (including ATX ext cable), so I took that route instead of dealing with Netgear warranty support and shipping the unit.  I've owned many ReadNAS units over the years.  Having a PS die after only 3 years is a first.

Yes, I did the molex switchout for all 3 connectors...the task was fairly painless.

I wish I could have had less ATX cable swimming around inside the unit...and was unable to route the cable behind the black plastic guide due to the extension, but temps inside are the same as pre-swap, so it's all good.

Message 12 of 14
jabberwockie
Aspirant

has anyone that has done one of these power supply replacements noticed that the unit does not stay in sleep mode for more thatn 30 seconds? 

I replaced my supply with this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151089

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200121

and the unit goes to sleep on schedule but then wakes right up again.

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

I have a Pro BE and a Pro6 that both have replacement supplies (I bought one unit knowing it needed one), and both go to slep perfectly well.  They did when they were on OS 4.2.x, and do on OS6.4.2 as well.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements