× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN102 Max Drive Capacity (WD Ultrastar DC 550 18TB)

dondrusco
Follower

ReadyNAS RN102 Max Drive Capacity (WD Ultrastar DC 550 18TB)

Hi folks!

My original configuration was 2x 1TB WD RE4 Disks WD1003FBYX in RAID1

I found in the supported disk 18TB Toshiba disk. I decided to try a WD 18TB disk.

I ordered 2x 18TB WD Ultrastar DC HC550 - WUH721818ALE6L4

Disk has just 4 screw holes instead of 6 - missing that in the middle. I had to cut the pins from caddy for the middle hole.

The upgrade was smooth, 4 hours sync 1TB->18TB, 4 hours sync 18TB->18TB, 72 hours resync 18TB&18TB

System displays disks as 18TB, real capacity 16,4TB (probaby OK, the old 1TB was displayed as 930GB)

Great upgrade!

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN102 Max Drive Capacity (WD Ultrastar DC 550 18TB)

@dondrusco wrote:

I had to cut the pins from caddy for the middle hole.

Actually you didn't.  What you should have done instead was remove the plastic insert.  Instructions on how to do that are in the hardware manual.  But it doesn't matter much if you are going to screw in the disks anyway.

@dondrusco wrote:

Disk has just 4 screw holes instead of 6 - missing that in the middle. 

Yeah, the bigger capacity disks have dropped some of the screw holes (including the side slot), in order to maximize space inside the drive.

The screw holes on the bottom of the tray don't all align. Netgear did upgrade the trays mid-flight to add some more holes, but the older NAS didn't come with those trays.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements