× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN102 network card dead

ArnoBrok
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN102 network card dead

Hi,

We had a mayor lighting storm passing over and caused a power outage. Afterwards my ReadyNAS was not accessible although the front lights all seem OK. When I looked at the back there is no green light from on the Ethernet port. I've swapped Ethernet cable and tried another port on the switch with no luck. My conclusion the network card is busted.

I still have a lot of data on the two disks (Raid) that I want to keep. 

Questions for the community:

- If I buy another RN102 would I be able to move the disks across?

- What other ReadyNas units would be compatible (like a newer 2 series)

- Is there a way I can mount them on a linux pc?

Appreciate any help!

Regards

Arno

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ArnoBrok wrote:

- If I buy another RN102 would I be able to move the disks across?

- What other ReadyNas units would be compatible (like a newer 2 series)

You can directly migrate them to any OS-6 NAS (both intel and arm CPUs) - though if you migrate to one with an intel processor you'd need to reinstall apps.

@ArnoBrok wrote:

- Is there a way I can mount them on a linux pc?

Yes that can be done too.  You'd need to have mdadm and btrfs installed.

Something like 

# apt-get update
# apt-get install mdadm btrfs-tools
# mdadm --assemble --scan
# cat /proc/mdstat
# mount -t btrfs -o ro /dev/md127 /mnt
Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

New 2-bay models are the RN212 (ARM) and RN422 (x86). If you want a new 2-bay unit I’d go with one of those. We also have 4-bay, 6-bay and 8-bay desktop NAS models.

Migrating disks to another ReadyNAS or using a Linux PC to attempt data recovery working smoothly does assume that the disks are fine, the RAID and data volume on the disks are in a good state and in the case of moving to a ReadyNAS that the OS on the disks is in a good state. These may not be the case.

Message 3 of 11
ArnoBrok
Aspirant

Would I need to insert both disks or eould one work? I am trying to keep at least one disk as a sort of backup.

Thanks for the help
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

You can migrate one.  Then you'd need to do a resync when you added in the second.

Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

You can migrate one.  Then you'd need to do a resync when you added in the second.

Which would mean you would be vulnerable to disk failure of the first disk during that resync, so before putting the second disk back in you'd want to do a backup first to a 3rd disk (e.g. a USB disk connected to the NAS or some other storage on your network).

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Which would mean you would be vulnerable to disk failure of the first disk during that resync, so before putting the second disk back in you'd want to do a backup first to a 3rd disk (e.g. a USB disk connected to the NAS or some other storage on your network).

Agreed.  

Also, you might consider getting a UPS for your NAS.

Message 7 of 11
ArnoBrok
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thanks for that.

Ate there any considerations/instructions I need to be mindful of?

My plan was to first power up the new unit and check its connectivity. Oncr that is confirmed plug in one drive.

Would this be the proper procedure?

Again thanks for all your help/advice

Regards
Arno Brok
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ArnoBrok wrote:

Would this be the proper procedure?

That will work.  If the new NAS is running a different firmware version, then whichever firmware is newest wins.  That is, if the OS on the disk is newer, then NAS flash is updated; otherwise the disk is updated.

If you get an RN200 series there are no special instructions; though it is good to preserve the slot order. if you get an X86 NAS then you'd need to remove/reinstall your apps.  All your settings will migrate with the disks.

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@ArnoBrok wrote:

My plan was to first power up the new unit and check its connectivity. Oncr that is confirmed plug in one drive.

I belive you need to plug in the drive with the power off so it sees in on boot.  Hot insertion is best for expansion or drive replacement.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:<

I believe you need to plug in the drive with the power off so it sees in on boot.  Hot insertion is best for expansion or drive replacement.

Yes.  Also when you do hot-insert the second drive you will probably need to format it on the volume tab before the system will add it to the array.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements