× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN10200 Sufficient ?

jama
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN10200 Sufficient ?

I have a ReadyNAS Duo v1 which I am looking to replace. I have only ever used this at its most basic, storing all my data under a single file share giving me plenty of space and some redundancy.

When I upgrade I am hoping to start taking advantage of streaming movies to my home theatre and getting some more benefit. The question for those who have been there already, is the ReadyNAS RN10200 sufficiently powerful enough for the foreseeable future ? Or should I be considering the RN31200 ?

A couple of other questions. Are the new models quieter than my older model ? And do they use less power ? Given it runs all the time its on my mind.

I also note that every model above the RN10200 has dual 1GB NIC's that can be teamed. Any real-world experience on this in the home environment ?

Thank you in advance
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RN10200 Sufficient ?

Get the 312. It can do some transcoding and remuxing whereas with the 102 you would need the video to be in the exact format that your client device will play.

The 312 has an Intel Atom CPU so it will run a greater variety of apps and the 312 has a HDMI port for possible future use.

Teaming would be unlikely to improve performance on the 312 which has an Atom CPU, however some teaming modes would provide automatic failover so if one of your NICs fails your NAS will stay connected to your network using the other one.
Message 2 of 7
xeltros
Apprentice

you answer for noise and consumption can be found here : http://www.netgear.com/images/ReadyNAS_ ... -73099.pdf

Can you be more precise about what you call streaming ? You mean just play the file remotely, not converting the file so it can be read (transcoding) ? If you want do to on the fly conversion it clearly won't be enough.
If you want to just send the file over network, AFP/SMB can go up to 80-90Mbytes/s in read and 40-50Mbytes/s in write on the RN104 which is the RN102 with 2 more slots. Speed is CPU limited, so if you want fastest transfers you'll need a faster CPU meaning intel CPU with Netgear Lineup.
The 102 has no HDMI whereas intel models have.

The dual gig NIC won't be really useful for speed since RN102/104 won't go any higher than 1Gig NIC (some other models should be able to), you can use the NIC for other purpose. In home environnement those purpose will be limited to advanced users but they still exist :
=> link backup if a router / switch is unavailable
=> second internet connection if you have a 3G/4G (you may know those technologies as HSDPA and LTE depending on your country).
=> a dedicated interface for internet with a proper firewall before the NAS (the option I chose).
=> direct connection to an equipment (let's say a TV since this equipment will only have access to NAS) to save a router / switch port

The web interface doesn't handle dual NIC thoroughly. You can configure IP/DNS/gateway for 2 NICs individually or team them and configure a set for the two interfaces. That's about all. You can't tell that user can connect from this interface, that one from the other, you can't activate SSH/Time Machine only to an interface for example (I would have wanted to enable FTPS/HTTP for the internet port and the rest for the LAN port but can't except if I drop in SSH). I wouldn't bother to take the dual NIC into account if I were you, always better to have it but not really useful for home, speed and CPU arch are more valuable. Intel CPU will have more apps and be faster I guess, ARM should draw less power and is cheaper.
Message 3 of 7
jama
Aspirant

Thank you both.

I found specs for my existing unit and looks like power consumption is similar. There is nothing in the specs on db so for the difference in noise level, if any, I was hoping on real experiences. My wife complains about the constant noise of the current one. I also found in the specs the media ReadyDLNA supports in the new units but not the old one, so don't know what's changed on that front. The list of supported media that can be streamed is the same for the 10200 and the 31200. Not sure how this is relevant as I thought the support needs to be in the player, the home theatre that's doing the work.

At first I was just looking at playing the files remotely but the transcoding looks like it would be of great value as I get into this new avenue. I am guessing that if I wish to transcode it would be through an app installed on the NAS as the NAS out of the box doesn't support this ? Was just looking around at different NAS's and the Synology DS214PLAY sounds ok too. Bit more expensive though.

As you can probably tell I am a bit unsure of what to get. I'm concerned I'll purchase something and then once familiar with it end up saying I wish I could do this or that.
Message 4 of 7
xeltros
Apprentice

in environnement part not in the frame. Noise levels: <25dBA
Mine is at 2-3 meters of my bed, clearly can't hear it but you may hear the disks heads when writing like any USB drive would do. In fact the noise is entirely covered by some kind of fan my apartment is equipped to prevent it from exploding if there is a gaz leak. My guess is that you computer will cover the noise anyway if the NAS is at more than 2 meters away. There still is a fan and if you are obsessed by it you will hear it, but most of the time the fan is around 700-800RPM. You can use NAS drive to reduce noise (they are supposed to run cooler (so no fan speed bump) and vibrate less).
I believe human ears dont pick up anything under 18dBA.

For the transcoding, you need an app for that, you have a full linux (debian) under the hood and some already good apps available (I don't use media functions so I can't tell what those apps do but plex seems praised).
Every NAS of the new line has se same software (ARM or intel version but every other bit is the same I think), the difference is the hardware. Transcoding is great if you have unsupported formats, if you store everything as MP4/H2624-AAC I think every player can read it. But it's clear that if you have some old or uncommon formats you may want to be able to play them directly on your ipad/TV/console. Nowadays most tablets/computer have apps to read pretty much anything, so it depends on your TV/console/amplifier/bluray player if you have to transcode or not.

Synology's OS is cool (there is a demo available on the net). To be honest I wanted a Synology but when buying my NAS I had a 30% discount on the Netgear RN104 and since I wanted something basic with 4 slots... I find that the OS6 is unfinished (no drive spin down, no firewall, no mail server...) and there still are problems (some device locking up while copying to them, the fix removed USB3 support). That said Netgear is working on updating the OS, I hope they'll sort things out quickly.
Message 5 of 7
jama
Aspirant

Thank you again for your feedback.

I just got home and checked my home theatre and television. Despite being a few years old, both have the Plex client available. Probably not updated anymore, hasn't been for some time, but it's there and I have downloaded and installed. I hope the server side isn't a subscription model.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 312 would just do a limited amount of transcoding, but if you needed to say transcode a 1080p video to play on an iPad you'd need something with a much faster CPU, such as the RN516.

With the 102 you would need the video to be in the exact format your client can play directly.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements