× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 unreleased HD space

Salteri
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 unreleased HD space

Hi, I have a ReadyNAS 4 bay system with 4 x 2TB Hard disks set up as a RAID 5 with a capacity of 6TB. The firmware is 6.10.1 and the system and all volumes are healthy. The system is showing less that 5% free space even though I only have 4.3Tb of data in the seven shares. I do not have Snapshots switched on although in the past it may have been. I have searched for any snapshot files but cannot find any and the links I have followed in other threads do not work. In the main Share window when I select the gear for options the Snapshots option is greyed out and cannot be selected. When I select the Snapshots button on the share window it opens a Restore window but there are no files to recover or delete for any of the shares. Any idea how I can free up the hard disk space and delete whatever is hiding there.

Thanks

Ian

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 unreleased HD space

@Salteri wrote:

... all volumes are healthy ...

I am thinking you only have one volume compromising 4 disks in RAID-5 (X-RAID).  Is that the case?

@Salteri wrote:

The system is showing less that 5% free space even though I only have 4.3Tb of data in the seven shares. I do not have Snapshots switched on although in the past it may have been. I have searched for any snapshot files but cannot find any and the links I have followed in other threads do not work. In the main Share window when I select the gear for options the Snapshots option is greyed out and cannot be selected. When I select the Snapshots button on the share window it opens a Restore window but there are no files to recover or delete for any of the shares. Any idea how I can free up the hard disk space and delete whatever is hiding there.

The first step is to make a backup of your files, since your data is at risk.

Are you comfortable using the linux command line using ssh?

If not, one option is to do a factory default (re-creating a fresh volume), and then reconfigure the NAS and restore the files from your backup.

Message 2 of 6
Salteri
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I am not sure how the ReadyNAS splits Volumes and Shares. When I go to the Volumes tab I see one picture of the RN104 with 4 disks inside and RAID 5 underneath, so I assume I have one volume. When I go to the shares tab I see seven shares which I assumed are like folders.

I do not have a backup as such as I do not have another hard disk large enough. I have duplicate copies of all the files in to different location, most on an older NAS drive and the remainder on multiple portable HD's. It would be paiful to loose the data as I would have to copy it all which is slow but at least it is safe on another system.

I am OK using SSH commands, I am purely a MAC user having dropped the Microsoft Blue Screen of death a few years ago. I can also run Red Hat Linux on an old PC, if I cannot achieve the same result in the command line on my MAC.

Thanks

Ian

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

XRAID has one volume, which is named data.

Enable ssh in system->services->settings.  Then log in as root using the NAS admin password. Then look for the snapshots by entering 

# btrfs subvolume list /data 

If you can see them, then you can manually delete them with

# btrfs subvolume delete -c /path

using the full path of the snapshot (something like /data/sharename/.snapshots/xx/snapshot).  Make sure you include the volume name - the btrfs list command doesn't include it.

FWIW, I recommend purchasing a disk large enough to back up your NAS first.

Message 4 of 6
Salteri
Aspirant

Thanks very much Stephen, worked perfectly. Hard Disk space is still freeing up but at over 1Tb now, I am guessing it take a while to sort itself out when you delete stuff.

Thanks Again

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help.

@Salteri wrote:

I am guessing it take a while to sort itself out when you delete stuff.

Yes.  I suggest running a balance from the volume settings wheel - that will also help free up space.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements