× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN214 - WD RED 4TB NAS internal drive - I HAVE 64 MB Cache drives, can I hot swap with 256?

chathams
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN214 - WD RED 4TB NAS internal drive - I HAVE 64 MB Cache drives, can I hot swap with 256?

Hey, I have the RN214.  

I currently have Western Digital RED 4TB internal hard drives (x3). 

I'm getting a 'data degraded' error and am looking to hot swap. 

I'm currently running 64MB cache drives, can I hot swap them with 256 cache drives?  

The 64MB state that they're the OLD models and the 256 cache are the NEW ones.  

Thanks! 

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN214 - WD RED 4TB NAS internal drive - I HAVE 64 MB Cache drives, can I hot swap with

@chathams wrote:

I'm currently running 64MB cache drives, can I hot swap them with 256 cache drives?  

The cache isn't a problem - but the new WD40EFAX drives are also SMR (shingled magnetic recording). You should google that before you buy.  Their use in RAID arrays is a controversial topic.

The WD40EFAX might work out fine (WD thinks they are ok) - but personally I'd take the more conservative approach and get another WD40EFRX to replace the failed one.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN214 - WD RED 4TB NAS internal drive - I HAVE 64 MB Cache drives, can I hot swap with

@chathams wrote:

The cache isn't a problem - but the new WD40EFAX drives are also SMR (shingled magnetic recording). You should google that before you buy.  Their use in RAID arrays is a controversial topic.

The WD40EFAX might work out fine (WD thinks they are ok) - but personally I'd take the more conservative approach and get another WD40EFRX to replace the failed one.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements