× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN214

dtd41
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN214

The system can not backup files with special characters in the name. I have files with the following chars : ?"=

It is a problem with the system or the embedded linux being used.

Message 1 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RN214

Backup to/from where, using what backup method?

Message 2 of 10
dtd41
Aspirant

rsync over a LAN. The NAS was smb mounted. the rsync summary:

sent 59,173,408,422 bytes received 578,797 bytes 7,480,435.78 bytes/sec
total size is 59,389,706,157 speedup is 1.00

28,954 files. Example of files not transfered:

.local/share/gvfs-metadata/sftp:host=mneme-86f18778.log

.local/share/gvfs-metadata/sftp:host=thor,user=chris

these are gnome configuration files. Anyway a backup should do all files

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dtd41 wrote:

.local/share/gvfs-metadata/sftp:host=mneme-86f18778.log

.local/share/gvfs-metadata/sftp:host=thor,user=chris

.local would be hidden, correct?  

Were there any files in.local that were copied?

Message 4 of 10
dtd41
Aspirant

All files were copied except the ones with the special characters. I am using XFCE. The backup was made with rsync. Below here is a partial directory list with the NAS mounted on /mnt.

artemis:/mnt/doug> find . -type d -name ".*" -maxdepth 1

./.config ./.dbus ./.fltk ./.gimp-2.8 ./.gnome2 ./.gnupg ./.gstreamer-0.10 ./.gvfs ./.hplip

./.idlerc ./.kc ./.local ./.notecase ./.pki ./.purple ./.ssh ./.ssh1 ./.vnc ./.xchat2
as you see dirs and files with leading "."s are included as they should be. The only files not copied were the ones with the special characters. As I thought I said files with these characters can not be added by any method.

Message 5 of 10
dtd41
Aspirant

One thing i should have added is using the web interface the hidden directories do not appear and so far I have not found an option to view them. They are however there.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dtd41 wrote:

One thing i should have added is using the web interface the hidden directories do not appear and so far I have not found an option to view them. They are however there.

I'd like to make sure I understand exactly what you've found.  If I get understand this correctly, you have

1. backed up a share to another machine using a NAS backup job that uses rsync.
  2. then determined that hidden directories in that share were not backed up.

Is that correct?  Or did you do this the other way around? 

1. back up a folder from another machine to the NAS using a backup job that uses rsync
  2. then determined that hidden directories in the source folder were not backed up to the share 
Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Given you say they are GNOME configuration files, I'm assuming that you backed up another machine to the NAS.

Yes, rsync (on any linux platform) has some limitations on characters in file names unless you invoke specific options.  Since those options are not ones that you want to use in every backup, it seems reasonable that Netgear does not invoke them.

To accomplish what you want to do, I believe you are going to have to initiate the rsync from the other system, invoking the appropriate options.

And, yes, the invisible files and folders are not visible in the GUI (and many other processes).  That's what invisible means.  Should Netgear add a global option to show them, much as Windows does?  Maybe.  You could put it in the idea exchange.

Message 8 of 10
dtd41
Aspirant

First I appreciate all the help, and thoughts. I made the satement of the problem, at least with the unit I have, too complex. If a file name contains a "?" or an "=" it will not be stored on the NAS214. In my testing it does not matter if I use the web interface or mount it via smb or ssh. Files with these characters will not be stored. I have submitted this as a PR. judging from the response from Netgear and the fact that I seem to be the only one to have hit this, I do not expect anything to change. I am considering this to be a close issue.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I just tested with ssh and SMB.  The Equal sign is a valid character in both Linux and SMB/Windows file names.  I created files contining it, including as the first charater (which is sometimes a special limitation).  I don't know why you would have an issue with that.

A question mark, however, is a wild card.  If escaped or in single quotes, Linux does allow it, but it can be problematic in many usages.  It is not an allowed character in SMB/Windows.  Windows will display something really wild for a file with a question mark in the name created via SSH.

All I can say is that whoever created something that uses those file names either wasn't thinking or, more likely, wanted to make messing around with them very difficult.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements