× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN524X00 has slow write speeds on macOS and Windows 10

OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN524X00 has slow write speeds on macOS and Windows 10

I have my NAS connected to wired Gigabit ethernet. I have the NAS connected to my Orbi router via a switch, and using a Cat 6 patch cord. I also have my MacBook Pro (running Mojave) and an HP Windows 10 laptop connected to the switch. All 3 have static IP addresses.

When I copy large files through my in-home network, not externally, from say my MacBook Pro to the NAS, the copying is slow. Same thing from the Windows 10 laptop to the NAS. Very slow. Even though I have Gigabit ethernet.

Are there some settings on the ReadyNAS (or MacBook or Windows 10 laptop) to speed things up when I copy large files? 

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You should post about this over in the ReadyNAS forums.

Good Luck. 

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

I have my NAS connected to wired Gigabit ethernet. I have the NAS connected to my Orbi router via a switch, and using a Cat 6 patch cord. I also have my MacBook Pro (running Mojave) and an HP Windows 10 laptop connected to the switch. All 3 have static IP addresses.

When I copy large files through my in-home network, not externally, from say my MacBook Pro to the NAS, the copying is slow. Same thing from the Windows 10 laptop to the NAS. Very slow. Even though I have Gigabit ethernet.

Are there some settings on the ReadyNAS (or MacBook or Windows 10 laptop) to speed things up when I copy large files? 

Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

How slow is "slow"?  Can you post some speeds from a NAS testing program such as http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance?  Sorry, I don't know a Mac equivalent.

Have you verified on the Network settings of the NAS that the connection is at GBit speed?  A bad cable can make it negotiate a slower speed.

Jumbo frames could increase your throughput, but enabling them can have the opposite effect if some of the machines on the network don't support them.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Giving us the NasTester results on the Win10 system would be helpful.

You should also try setting "Enhance MacOS" in system->settings->smb.

Also I suggest disabling strict sync in the share settings and see if that makes a difference.

Message 4 of 11
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

OK, I'll try posting there if I can't get a good resolution here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 11
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

How do I look at the Network settings on the NAS to see if it is Gbit? Also, I don't know what jumbo frames are.

Message 6 of 11
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

I do plan on trying the NAS testing program on the Windows laptop, and I'll post the results when I do that. I don't know anything about the other things you mentioned, but I'll let you know if they help.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

How do I look at the Network settings on the NAS to see if it is Gbit? 

Go to the network tab in the web ui.  You'll see a bandwidth indication at the bottom of the list for your network adapter (under ipv6).  The adapter you aren't using will be grayed out.  Note you shouldn't be using both adapters unless you've set up link aggregation.

Also - if your network doesn't use ipv6 (most don't), then disable it in the NAS.  That can also help speed things up.  Click on the settings wheel next to your network adapter, then click on the ipv6 tab.  You can disable ipv6 using the pulldown menu next to "configure".

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

Also, I don't know what jumbo frames are.

In network parlance, "frames" are what carry the packets.

Standard ethernet has a max packet size of 1500 bytes.   Jumbo frames (which carry packets > 1500 bytes) are supported by some devices.

Setting them up requires some manual configuration on multiple devices (at least your Mac, PC,and the NAS).  In some cases they can speed up transfer speeds, but they can also break things.  Personally I don't use them.

Message 8 of 11
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

How do I look at the Network settings on the NAS to see if it is Gbit? 

Go to the network tab in the web ui.  You'll see a bandwidth indication at the bottom of the list for your network adapter (under ipv6).  The adapter you aren't using will be grayed out.  Note you shouldn't be using both adapters unless you've set up link aggregation.

Also - if your network doesn't use ipv6 (most don't), then disable it in the NAS.  That can also help speed things up.  Click on the settings wheel next to your network adapter, then click on the ipv6 tab.  You can disable ipv6 using the pulldown menu next to "configure".

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

Also, I don't know what jumbo frames are.

In network parlance, "frames" are what carry the packets.

Standard ethernet has a max packet size of 1500 bytes.   Jumbo frames (which carry packets > 1500 bytes) are supported by some devices.

Setting them up requires some manual configuration on multiple devices (at least your Mac, PC,and the NAS).  In some cases they can speed up transfer speeds, but they can also break things.  Personally I don't use them.

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful.

The network tab shows 1 Gbps, so the cabling must be okay.

When I chose "disable" for ipv6, the message says all communication will be lost, so I left it alone.

Regarding jumbo frames, I think you're right. I would rather not mess with those settings.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

When I chose "disable" for ipv6, the message says all communication will be lost, so I left it alone.

It's safe to ignore that message, because you are using ipv4 to communicate to the NAS.  There are definitely cases here where disabling ipv6 boosted performance.

Message 10 of 11
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

OK, thanks. I changed the setting.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements