× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN524X00 is slow copying files

OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN524X00 is slow copying files

I have my NAS connected to wired Gigabit ethernet. I have the NAS connected to my Orbi router via a switch, and using a Cat 6 patch cord. I also have my MacBook Pro (running Mojave) and an HP Windows 10 laptop connected to the switch. All 3 have static IP addresses.

When I copy large files through my in-home network, not externally, from say my MacBook Pro to the NAS, the copying is slow. Same thing from the Windows 10 laptop to the NAS. Very slow. Even though I have Gigabit ethernet.

I have disabled IPV6 from a suggestion on another forum, but the copying still seems slow. I have also verified that it is not the cabling, since the NAS reports 1 GB ethernet.

Are there some settings on the ReadyNAS (or MacBook or Windows 10 laptop) to speed things up when I copy large files? 

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN524X00 is slow copying files

strict sync (a share setting) can slow down the write speed.

Can you try NAStester on the Windows laptop and share the speed? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Message 2 of 8
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

strict sync (a share setting) can slow down the write speed.

Can you try NAStester on the Windows laptop and share the speed? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

How can I turn off strict sync to see if it writes faster? What does that do?

The average of 5 iterations on the NAS tester was 11.57 MB / sec (write) and 10.55 MB / sec (read). I don't know how that compares to other wired ethernet setups like mine, with 1 GB ethernet using cat 6. I have wireless turned off to avoid interference. The speed just seems slow, but maybe my expectations are high.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

The average of 5 iterations on the NAS tester was 11.57 MB / sec (write) and 10.55 MB / sec (read). I don't know how that compares to other wired ethernet setups like mine, with 1 GB ethernet using cat 6. I have wireless turned off to avoid interference. The speed just seems slow, but maybe my expectations are high.

It is quite slow for end-to-end gigabit ethernet (should be ~100 MB/sec).  What was the fastest iteration?

What model switch are you using?

Not sure what you mean by "turned off wireless to avoid interference" since you weren't using it.  Do you mean in the PC???

@OldTimerGuy wrote: 

Go to the shares page in the web ui, and click on the share settings wheel.  Pick Settings from the context menu.  Then select the network access tab, and click on "advanced".  You'll see strict sync (along with some other stuff).

When it's enabled, the NAS waits for the disk i/o to complete on each write (basically turning off the write cache).  So it will slow down write quite a bit - but not reads.

Message 4 of 8
OldTimerGuy
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

It is quite slow for end-to-end gigabit ethernet (should be ~100 MB/sec).  What was the fastest iteration? ==> They were all about the same. The fastest write iteration was 11.98 MB / sec.

What model switch are you using? ==> I don't know what you mean by "model switch". Please explain. 

Not sure what you mean by "turned off wireless to avoid interference" since you weren't using it.  Do you mean in the PC??? ==> Yes. In Windows 10, I went to Network & Internet Settings | Change adapter options | Wi-fi and I changed it to "Disabled". I wanted to make sure wi-fi was not interfering with the 1 GB wired network I have in my house. Wi-fi connections are much slower than wired, in my experience.

@OldTimerGuy wrote: 

Go to the shares page in the web ui, and click on the share settings wheel.  Pick Settings from the context menu.  Then select the network access tab, and click on "advanced".  You'll see strict sync (along with some other stuff). ==> I don't see a share settings wheel on the Shares tab. Is there another way to get to the strict sync setting?

When it's enabled, the NAS waits for the disk i/o to complete on each write (basically turning off the write cache).  So it will slow down write quite a bit - but not reads.==> my read and write speeds are about the same: around 10 or 11 MB / sec. Since you said the speed should be around 100 MB / sec, I'm only getting a tenth of the speed I should be getting, both read and write.

Any other ideas you can think of? I really appreciate all the suggestions you have given so far. 🙂

Message 5 of 8
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

If the Speed not Crossing more than 12MB/s , There is definitely a 10/100 Mbps Connection in the network flow which is restriting the speed .

How about connecting direct Computer to NAS and try a copy by assigning a Static IP or try with another PC / MAC with 1Gbps Port ?

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

When you hover the mouse over a share on the Shares page, the wheel appeas to the right.  You need to select "Settings", then "Advanced" on the "Network" tab to see the "strict sync" checkbox (assuming a reasonably up to date OS).

But I agree that your speeds indicate a 100MBPS connection in there somewhere.  I've seen some low-cost laptops that just come with 10/100 Ethernet because they assume you'll use WiFi (and they want to save a nickle per unit)..  You need to check the computer, the NAS, the router, and any Ethernat switch (what @StephenB was asking for the model number of) to make sure all support GBit Ethernet.  If they are supposed to but currently are not, check cabling and driver.  If those don't fix it, something may be broken.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@OldTimerGuy wrote:

What model switch are you using? ==> I don't know what you mean by "model switch". Please explain. 

In your first post you said the NAS and the PCs were connected to a switch.

I'm asking what switch that is (manufacturer and product name).

As @Sandshark says, it looks like something on the path between the NAS and the PC is running 100 megabit ethernet.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements