× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 (NV+) power supply died, can I put HDs in new ReadyNAS (either RN424 or 3138)?

Scottyd72
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 (NV+) power supply died, can I put HDs in new ReadyNAS (either RN424 or 3138)?

Hi there, Scott From Newcastle, NSW, Australia - I'm a new user here but we have had our NV+ since 2009 and it has died as the power supply is not outputting anything. Getting another (generic only) will take weeks and I'm not sure it's the best option. 

My NAS has 4 x 2TB WD20EARX drives in it and they have been extremely reliable. 

I need to find out if I need to revive the NV+ to transfer the data or can I just buy a new NAS and insert some or all of my drives into the new NAS?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 (NV+) power supply died, can I put HDs in new ReadyNAS (either RN424 or 3...

@Scottyd72 wrote:

Or am I just going to have to plug both new and old NAS's into the network and transfer the data across? 

This is the path you'll need to take - the new NAS won't be able to mount the old disks.  Use a backup job running on the 3138.

Generally I use rsync (though NFS might be a bit faster) - enabling the protocols on both NAS of course.  You'll want to reset permissions on the 3138 shares when that is completed.

@Scottyd72 wrote:

So is it possible to start up the 3138 with only two 6tb drives in it (what positions should I put them in?)

It doesn't matter what positions you put them in.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 (NV+) power supply died, can I put HDs in new ReadyNAS (either RN424 or 3...

@Scottyd72

Welcome to the Community!

You can recover or pull out your data by reviving your NV+ or by buying the same model, you can also recover your data by using a recovery software like ReCLAIMe. You just need to connect your disks to your PC and use it to recover data. Also, purchasing a ReadyNAS OS 6 model like the one you indicated on your subject is possible from the assistance of a NETGEA Support expert provided that your disks are healthy and in good condition, they will be able to get your disks/data available on the new NAS.

IMO, going with a new model NAS is better than reviving your NV+

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 10
Scottyd72
Aspirant

Thanks for the info Marc, I’ve decided to go get a new 3138 and start it with 2 6tb WD red pro drives. Just have to decide how to transfer the data.
Message 3 of 10
Scottyd72
Aspirant

Oh and I’m going to wire up a cheap new ATX power supply to get the NV+ going to be able to transfer the data just in case.
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Scottyd72 wrote:
Oh and I’m going to wire up a cheap new ATX power supply to get the NV+ going to be able to transfer the data just in case.

Note you do need to change the pinout - best done in the extension cable.  Details are here: https://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

Message 5 of 10
Scottyd72
Aspirant

Yes thanks I have read up on the power mod and I’m ready to do this when my power supply turns up.
Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Be sure to seal up the gaps in the back where the external power cable runs through with masking tape to keep the fan doing it's job cooling the drives.

Message 7 of 10
Scottyd72
Aspirant

So Just to redo my question as I have been able to decide to replace my NAS (been checking out other threads) and I have ordered a 3138 and so far ordered 2 6tb WD red pro drives. 

So is it possilbe to start up the 3138 with only two 6tb drives in it (what positions should I put them in?), then insert two of my old drives in to transfer the data? Or am I just going to have to plug both new and old NAS's into the network and transfer the data across? 

Ps. I only need to tx the data, I don't need to save and user acct info...

Thanks to all of you for your guidance so far...

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Scottyd72 wrote:

Or am I just going to have to plug both new and old NAS's into the network and transfer the data across? 

This is the path you'll need to take - the new NAS won't be able to mount the old disks.  Use a backup job running on the 3138.

Generally I use rsync (though NFS might be a bit faster) - enabling the protocols on both NAS of course.  You'll want to reset permissions on the 3138 shares when that is completed.

@Scottyd72 wrote:

So is it possible to start up the 3138 with only two 6tb drives in it (what positions should I put them in?)

It doesn't matter what positions you put them in.

Message 9 of 10
Scottyd72
Aspirant

Thanks Steven, thats what I needed to find out.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements