× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 - Power on (fan noise), top row of LED flickers, no display, no network presence

Raj_UK
Follower

ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 - Power on (fan noise), top row of LED flickers, no display, no network presence

Hi All

I bought my ReadyNas RND4000 v3 in 2010 and it's been fine at home 🙂

I recently had a fuse trip on the mains power in the house (which has happened a dozen or so times in the past few years or so, with no issues, RCD on the fuse box) and when I put the power back on and went to switch my NAS box back on, it powers up, the top ros of LED's momentarily flicker and then go out and stay off, and the fans stay on.

There's no network presence and so it's unusable

I've googled and seen people say that if it doesn't do anything at all it could be the power supply, but if it does spin up the fans and the LED's do flicker for a moment (nothing on the main display though) then is the PSU OK and it's something else ?

Has anyone any ideas or should I :

1. buy a netgear support contract and log a ticket

or 

2. buy a secondhand RND4000 v3 from eBay and transfer my HDD over and hope the RAID set is intact 

I tried unplugging it and replugging it backin, and also tried powering it up with no HDD in it, but with no change

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to get my photos and movies back !

regards

Raj

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 - Power on (fan noise), top row of LED flickers, no display, no network pres

Try removing all the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up the NAS.

Normally it will start, and display a "no disks" status on the LCD.  If you don't see anything (and likely you won't), then the chassis has failed.  There is no point in contacting Netgear support - they won't repair hardware problems, and the NAS is out of warranty.

If it is the power supply, it is possible to jury-rig it - using an off-the shelf ATX supply.  You would need use an extension cable, since it won't fit into the NAS.  You'll need to make a small change to that cable though.  We can give you details if you are comfortable with that path.

You can also get a replacement OS-6 NAS.  With support from Netgear, you can temporarily install your current array, so you can copy off the files. I think there is a charge for this. https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or USB adapter/docks) it is also possible to access the files using RAID recovery software ( https://www.r-studio.com/ )

Purchasing a used NAS is possible, though you do need to keep in mind that anything you find will be at least 9 years old.  Some folks here have purchased used NAS and found they did not function.  If you go this route, make sure you purchase a v1 (4.1.x firmware), and not a v2 (5.3.x firmware).  I realize you think you have a v3 - but what you actually have is version 3 of a v1.  It is confusing. 

A v2 NAS will say "ReadyNAS NV+ v2" on the front panel - unlike yours, which just has "ReadyNAS NV+" 

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 v3 - Power on (fan noise), top row of LED flickers, no display, no network pres

@Raj_UK wrote:

I've googled and seen people say that if it doesn't do anything at all it could be the power supply, but if it does spin up the fans and the LED's do flicker for a moment (nothing on the main display though) then is the PSU OK and it's something else ?Raj

Those "several people" don't know what they are talking about.  There are multiple power busses on the supply, and problems can affect all (as "several people" seem to think is the only possibility) or just one.  Your symptom is consistent with a properly functioning 12V (on which the fans run) but a bad 5 or 3.3 V (on which the logic runs).  Of course, there can be otrher issues with the logic than just the power.  But the power supply is a typical first failure in a NAS (just because people keep them longer than they typically do a PC, not because of a design issue), so testing that is a good start.  The adapter cable @StephenB suggested is a good way to do that.

Of course, the NV+ is old & slow, only supports 2TB drives max, and is limited to SMB1.  So it may just be time to set the old one aside and go for a new one.  Unfortunately, sources seem to be pretty limited right now due to COVID-related supply channel issues.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements