× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDU2000 fried after power supply failure?

DJMarkM
Initiate

ReadyNAS RNDU2000 fried after power supply failure?

Hi.

My ReadyNAS power supply failed on Friday and managed to trip the house RCD breaker whilst doing so!

I replaced the power supply and although my readyNAS powers on and both ports are pingable, the internal webserver is not accessible (no admin page etc) and RAIDar finds the device but it's listed with no Model number and also "No Disks Detected" (there are 2 x 4Tb drives in there)

I've tried the reset button on the back and also booting up the device with the HDDs removed (RAIDar is unable to even find the unit in this case)

Is there anything else I could do or do I just have to accept the device is fried?

If fried anyone know of any tools to mount these drives in Windows to access the data?

(I've just checked online looking for a ReadyNAS 214 and no suppliers have them in stock with at least 2 saying these are discontinued even though they are still on Netgears business storage page as current devices. C'mon Netgear what the hell is going on!??)

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RNDU2000 fried after power supply failure?

Was your Ultra running OS4.2.x or had you converted it to 6.x?  r-Linux will work for OS4.2.x, but not 6.x.  And there is always the chance that the volume was corrupted as well.

It sounds like the flash memory in the unit is corrupt, or perhaps fried.  You can try a USB recovery to see if that fixes it.

As for new ReadyNAS, the supply has been pretty much zero since a little after the COVID lock-downs.  Many businesses bought up what was available to assist in work-from-home solutions.  Whether it's supply issues or a choice of which products to prioritize during COVID or whether Netgear is planning to discontinue the ReadyNAS, they have not said.  But the used market is about all there is right now if you plan to stick with ReadyNAS.

If your NAS was still running OS4.2.x, then you can't just move the drives from the old to a new OS6 NAS and have all the data intact, BTW.  There is a method of using an OS6 NAS to recover data from OS4.2.x, but you have to move it to an intermediate location, and Netgear will give you no help in that regard with a used NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DJMarkM
Initiate

**UPDATE**

I've seen in another post to try r-linux for windows in order to try and recover data

/ReadyNas-Ultra-2-RNDU2000-dead-after-unknown-causes 

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Was your Ultra running OS4.2.x or had you converted it to 6.x?  r-Linux will work for OS4.2.x, but not 6.x.  And there is always the chance that the volume was corrupted as well.

It sounds like the flash memory in the unit is corrupt, or perhaps fried.  You can try a USB recovery to see if that fixes it.

As for new ReadyNAS, the supply has been pretty much zero since a little after the COVID lock-downs.  Many businesses bought up what was available to assist in work-from-home solutions.  Whether it's supply issues or a choice of which products to prioritize during COVID or whether Netgear is planning to discontinue the ReadyNAS, they have not said.  But the used market is about all there is right now if you plan to stick with ReadyNAS.

If your NAS was still running OS4.2.x, then you can't just move the drives from the old to a new OS6 NAS and have all the data intact, BTW.  There is a method of using an OS6 NAS to recover data from OS4.2.x, but you have to move it to an intermediate location, and Netgear will give you no help in that regard with a used NAS.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements