× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDU2120-100AUS

nickpea
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RNDU2120-100AUS

Hi I have a ReadyNAS (RNDU2120-100AUS) dual bay with 2 x 1TB drives.  The drives are fine, but the chassis has failed.  The same model NAS is no longer available.  If I purchase a new equivalent unit, can I just install my drives and it will work?  What is the best upgrade path to hopefully be able to get to the data on my drives?

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2120|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 2TB (1 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RNDU2120-100AUS

Hi @nickpea

Welcome to the Community!

Provided that your NAS drives are healthy the best path is to purchase a ReadyNAS OS 6 Unit which has x86 processor as well like the RN400 series and up. Though the steps to migrate the data or transfer the data to the newer unit is not as simple as installing the drives and boot them. Please see ReadyNAS Migrate and Data recovery services might be needed, But this path will get you to be working with the latest updates and hardware.

On the other hand finding a similar model (Ultra 2) for sale refurbished online within a reasonable price is another option.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @nickpea

Welcome to the Community!

Provided that your NAS drives are healthy the best path is to purchase a ReadyNAS OS 6 Unit which has x86 processor as well like the RN400 series and up. Though the steps to migrate the data or transfer the data to the newer unit is not as simple as installing the drives and boot them. Please see ReadyNAS Migrate and Data recovery services might be needed, But this path will get you to be working with the latest updates and hardware.

On the other hand finding a similar model (Ultra 2) for sale refurbished online within a reasonable price is another option.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
nickpea
Aspirant

Great - thanks for your help

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

There are also plenty of other compatible models into which you can install your drives as-is.  Anything that runs OS4.2.x.  It is best to use a spare drive and verify the firmware is up to the same version yours was before you migrate the drives.

Note that this is one of the good reasons to upgrade compatible legacy models (any 64-bit Intel based model) to OS6.  If you had been running OS6, you could simply move the drives over to a new OS6 model.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements