× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDU6000 memory upgrade - won't boot

mrmilo
Tutor

ReadyNAS RNDU6000 memory upgrade - won't boot

I bought the ReadNAS Ultra 6 with 3x3TB disk in 2011. Upgraded to OS6 long time ago even though it was not supported. Been running fine since! Few years ago I dropped using "apps" in favor of docker containers. This works super for me. Can even control containers using my iPhone (over ssh). Ofcourse the first problem to run into is memory... I'm still rocking the standard "1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL6" (240PIN DDR2 DIMM unbuffered pc) from RoHS Apacer.

Choices...buy a new NAS or upgrade. Well upgrading memory is cheaper ofcourse and CPU still is good enough for my needs. Browsing the forums is very confusing but after much reading I bought memory via AliXpress (link)  (KANMEIQi ddr2 ram 2GB 800MHz Desktop Dimm 4gb).

After installing boot got stuck on ReadNAS logo. Placed back the old memory and boots fine again.

Is there some way to get some more information from the system?

Things to try:

- connect display to see info (what header should I buy?)

- update BIOS (downloaded "BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin" but first wanted to get some feedback here)

The information found on the forums is confusing and/or outdated. Is there someone around that can assist me in this?

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RNDU6000 memory upgrade - won't boot

Sounds like either bad memory or incompatible memory.

Did you try booting with just one of the memory sticks in place (trying both of them)?

Message 2 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

Thanks for the fast reply! I just tried both DIMM seperately and they both work! In both slots. So its not the DIMM's and not the slots on the board. They just won't play noce together...

It's 2x2GB. Would this be an BIOS issue?

Message 3 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I've never tried taking an Ultra6 beyond 2GB, but it has been my belief that 2x2GB should work; and your memory does have the proper rating.  I don't believe 8GB will, though that doesn't affect you.  Does it work if you mix the old 1GB stick with one of the 2GB's?  None of the legacy desktop NAS use dual-channel memory, so mixing different size sticks will not have any negative effects.

Message 4 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

According to what I've read on the forum in theory 8GB could be possible but is unconfirmed. 4GB has been done and confirmed. That's why I went with 2x2GB. 

Anyway I would have tried mixing DIMM's if it wasn't for your sugestion (note the dual channel...). I just booted the nas with the original 1GB and the new 2GB and that works to!

It doesnt make sense to me yet but this is 3 times more memory than this morning already 🙂 

Appreciate your feedback!

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mrmilo wrote:

According to what I've read on the forum in theory 8GB could be possible

No.  The Ultra-6 has a D510 processor, and that has a max memory size of 4 GB.  Some Ultras only have one memory slot - for them the max memory is 2 GB.

Confusion here is because the Ultra-6 Plus (like the Pro-6) uses a different processor.

Message 6 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

The 4GB limit is expected, but working with 3 and not 4 isn't.  Maybe it is a BIOS issue. The BIOS update package contains RN_Ultra6_061010.ROM.  bios_ver.log from the downloaded logs zip from my Ultra6 has the same 6/10/10 date, so you can check that and see if yours is different.

FYI, the fact that the NAS will boot with a single stick in either slot is usually a sign that it's not dual-channel RAM.

Message 7 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

Bios date: 05/26/2010

I have never done a bios upgrade on my machine. Did some searching the forum and found a download link for BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin but am uncertain it is ok to try.

Message 8 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

That's the right package, but it won't work with OS6. But before you do anything else, what version does your bios_version.log have in it?  You may not need to update.

If you do need to update, there are instructions elsewhere in the forum (I don't have a link) about how to extract and install the BIOS under OS6, but the easiest way for most is to use a spare drive in your NAS instead of the normnal volume drives and revert back to OS4.2.x, then install the BIOS update add-on, then revert back to OS6 before re-inserting your normal drives.

Message 9 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_date
::::::::::::::
05/26/2010
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version

Is this instruction still correct?

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Definately an older version.  I can't say if the update will fix the issue or not, but it's always best to have the latest if you can.

Message 11 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

So I just followed the instructions I found. Little change for Ultra6.

This are the commands I succesfully used (for reference):

# install tools
apt-get update
apt-get install dmidecode flashrom
apt-get install libc6-i386
# download bios package
cd /tmp/
wget http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin
# unpack bios package
dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k count=1
dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k skip=1 | md5sum -
dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k skip=1 | tar -xv
# this unpacks following files in /tmp
#    install.sh
#   remove.sh
#   addons.conf
#   files.tgz
# now unpack files.tgz
tar -xvf files.tgz
# this unpacks following files
#    ./opt/biosflash/flashrom
#    ./opt/biosflash/RN_3200_062410.ROM
#    ./opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra6_061010.ROM
#    ./opt/biosflash/RN_NV6_072610.ROM
#    ./opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra4_082311.ROM
#    ./opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra2_110211.ROM
#    ./usr/sbin/dmidecode
# it actually unpacks a flashrom utility and dmicode...
# using install.sh as reference for the correct -c (chip) for my Ultra6, I tried:
flashrom --programmer internal -c W25Q80 -w /tmp/opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra6_061010.ROM
# got an error: Error: Unknown chip 'W25Q80' specified.
# now tried again with the flashrom that came with the package
/tmp/opt/biosflash/flashrom --programmer internal -c W25Q80 -w /tmp/opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra6_061010.ROM
# within seconds: Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Checked the bios_ver.log log:

/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_date
06/10/2010
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version

So all went well!

Sadly 4GB still not recognised. So still running on 3GB.

Message 12 of 16
mdgm
Virtuoso

You possibly might have had to user lower case for the chip name. I think with a few models there might be some systems that used a different chip. Can't remember whether the Ultra 4 was one of those.

Message 13 of 16
mrmilo
Tutor

Hmm, sounds plausable but seeing that the update was already succesfull with the packaged tool i'm not gonna test that out 🙂  Not going to touch that ever again!

Message 14 of 16
mdgm
Virtuoso

Indeed. BIOS updates are not without risk. If for example the power failed during a BIOS update a device could be bricked.

Was just pointing out in case others came across this thread later.

Message 15 of 16
SamirD
Prodigy

Don't buy fake garbage ram direct from china.  Those sites are scammers for anyone outside of the mainland.

I literally grabbed some old 2x2gb ddr2 desktop ram I had lying around and installed it in my ultra 6 a while back.  The first set I tried didn't pass the memory test, so do the memory test before relying on it.

The units can take 8gb of ram via 2x 4gb modules as well, but those modules aren't cheap.  Still, they can really breathe new life into your dockers so it may be worth it to you since it's literally just a 1 hour upgrade (and that's being really careful and super taking your time).

Hope this helps!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements