× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RR4360x Replicate Luns?

edford2000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RR4360x Replicate Luns?

Current setup:

1 HP Windows 2008 R2 Server using ISCSI connections. I have 3 LUNS used as F, G, H Drives on the Netgear ReadyNAS 4360X ...

Goal:

we are going to virtualize the server (Hyper-V). Upgrading to Windows 2019.. This Hyper-V setup will also include Hyper-V failover. 

we are using two ReadyNAS devices and these are mirror'd drives on the server. I found out that when I connect both servers (old and new) to the same LUN that the mirror breaks. Why does it break?

How is it possible to setup two servers (Hyper-V Servers) using the same data? How would I setup Hyper-V and Failover Hyper-V? Can I replicate the data within the same NAS and use a server connection to each NAS and how do I do this? 

is Microsoft Failover cluster manager the answer to this?

Thank You

Edward

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RR4360x Replicate Luns?

An iSCSI LUN is just a "block of space" to the NAS.  It has no knowledge of the file system being used -- the using device controls that.  So, you can't have two devices using the LUN at the same time, and thus each making file system level changes without the other device's knowledge.  Redundancy management is the answer here.  I'm not familiar with Microsoft Failover cluster manager, but it sounds to me like an option.  The other would be to ditch the LUNs and use the NAS as a NAS, not a SAN.  But, of course, that means a lot more administration of the NAS users unless you use Active Directory.

Message 2 of 4
edford2000
Aspirant

what is Redundancy management? do you mean in general or is there a product called Redundancy management?

Thank You

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Redundancy management is a generic term.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements