× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Raid 10

tec-man
Guide

ReadyNAS Raid 10

I have a ReadyNAS 10400.  I have 2x4TB drives and 2x2TB hard drives.  The 4 TB are in chanel 1 and 2, and the 2 TB are in 3 and 4.  Can I use Raid 10 to get a single 6 TB volume ?

I an set for RAID 10, but after hours of resync I only have 4 TB of storage.

Have I done something incorrect and why does it take 17 hours to resync with no data on the disks ?

paul

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:

why does it take 17 hours to resync with no data on the disks ?

The RAID array creates a virtual disk (which is just raw storage).  Creating/resyncing the array takes the same amount of time no matter how much data is stored on the volume, since RAID itself doesn't know or care what file system is installed.

17 hours does seem a bit long for your volume size though.  What disks are you using?  

@tec-man wrote:

Can I use Raid 10 to get a single 6 TB volume ?

This can be done in general, but this isn't something I've ever tried with a ReadyNAS.  Hopefully one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) will chime in.

Message 2 of 15
tec-man
Guide

After reviewing the manual, I am trying a simplier scheme, still with issues.

I put the two TB drives in slots 1 & 2 setup as X-Raid and RAID 1.  After the resync all was healthy with the proper available space.  I then plugged in mt 2 TB drives in slots 3 & 4.  From what I read the NAS should add them to expand the capacity w/o intervention.  My slot 3 and slot 4 drives have green indicators and the drive data shows all good and the volume is listed as NEW.

How do I get it to add the 2 new 2 TB drives to the existing RAID volume ?

Paul

Message 3 of 15
tec-man
Guide

Well the drive in slot 4 has lost the green indicator (now black)  ???

Message 4 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Is it in the process of syncing Drive 3?  It can only add one at a time, so Drive 4 may be shown as simpky unused (black) until it completes the sync of Drive 3.

Message 5 of 15
tec-man
Guide

I swapped drives and now have 2 green (online) indicators.  Do I now need somehow to expand the data ?

Message 6 of 15
tec-man
Guide

Success

I selected slot 3 & 4 drives and in the window I added group.  Now the capacity has increased to the expected value.  A re-synch has started (showing 12 hours to complete)

(SandShark:  you can ignore my PM)

Paul

Message 7 of 15
tec-man
Guide

One last comment.  I reviewed the Netgear ReadyNAD 6.10 software manual.  On pg 39 they discuss "Horizontally Expand an X-Raid Volume"  It implied that just adding 2 (or more) drives will add capacity and the disks will be incoroprated in the background.  No mention of adding a group.  On pg 44 they discuss adding a Group (as I had to do) but this was only under the Flex-raid option.  Nothing about adding, or the need to add, a group under X-Raid.

Was this an error or omission in the manual ?

Paul

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:

Success

I selected slot 3 & 4 drives and in the window I added group. 

Good to know.

It'd be useful if you could post mdstat.log as a followup.

Message 9 of 15
tec-man
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@tec-man wrote:

Success

I selected slot 3 & 4 drives and in the window I added group. 

Good to know.

It'd be useful if you could post mdstat.log as a followup.

Unfortunately I had cleared the logs earlier and they only contain my last, successful setup.

Paul

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:
Unfortunately I had cleared the logs earlier and they only contain my last, successful setup.

mdstat.log always just shows the current setup.  

Message 11 of 15
tec-man
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@tec-man wrote:

mdstat.log always just shows the current setup.  

Where do I find mdstat.log ?

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:

It's in the downloaded log zip file.

Message 13 of 15
tec-man
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@tec-man wrote:

It's in the downloaded log zip file.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Thx.  It looks like it's not quite RAID-10, but likely is close enough for your purpose.  

md126 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0] 1948663808 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
[==>..................] resync = 14.7% (287684288/1948663808) finish=13194.5min speed=2097K/sec

md127 : active raid1 sdd3[0] sdc3[1] 3902167808 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

It appears to be two RAID-1 groups that are concatenated together.  Theoretically performance would be somewhat less than RAID-10.  But I doubt there's any significant dropoff in practice.

For comparison, your swap partition is RAID-10, and it is reported a bit differently:

md1 : active raid10 sda2[3] sdb2[2] sdd2[1] sdc2[0] 1044480 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements