× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS ReadyNAS RNV2-S2 Compatible with Mac Time Machine with macOS Mojave?

LarryBohen
Aspirant

ReadyNAS ReadyNAS RNV2-S2 Compatible with Mac Time Machine with macOS Mojave?

My ReadyNAS is several years old and was previously used with a Windows PC.

I would like to use my NAS with my Mac desktop and Time Machine. Can do that? What software update do I need?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS ReadyNAS RNV2-S2 Compatible with Mac Time Machine with macOS Mojave?

@LarryBohen wrote:

My ReadyNAS is several years old ...

If it's an RNV2-S2, then I think it was shipped by Infrant (before Netgear bought them in 2007).  Does it have a Netgear label on the front?

@LarryBohen wrote:

What software update do I need?

Current firmware for your NAS is 4.1.16.  What are you running? 

Message 2 of 6
LarryBohen
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS ReadyNAS RNV2-S2 Compatible with Mac Time Machine with macOS Mojave?

I don't have my ReadyNAS NV+ connected to my Mac yet. 

I've got the installation CD that came with it in 2007. Should I install that and then update the firmware or can I just download and install the firmware?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@LarryBohen wrote:

I've got the installation CD that came with it in 2007. Should I install that and then update the firmware or can I just download and install the firmware?

Ignore the installation CD.

What firmware are you running?  There might be some intermediate upgrades along the way, especially if you are still running the original firmware.

Message 4 of 6
LarryBohen
Aspirant

I'm not running any firmware. I haven't used my ReadyNAS NV+ for many years and want to connect it to my Mac for Time Machine backups.

I've downloaded RAIDiator-4.1.16. When I unzip and double-click my Mac says it can't find an app to open it with. ????

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@LarryBohen wrote:

I'm not running any firmware.

Your NAS is running something now, and it would be helpful to know what it is.  One way to tell that is to install the RAIDar app on your Mac.  It should be able to locate your NAS on the network and identify the firmware. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

@LarryBohen wrote:

I've downloaded RAIDiator-4.1.16. When I unzip and double-click my Mac says it can't find an app to open it with. ????

Correct.  The 4.1.16 firmware doesn't run on the Mac - it runs on the NAS.  You need to upload the firmware image to the NAS via your browser ( http://nas-ip-address/admin ).

But since the NAS has been long neglected, there are potentially some barriers:

• The web server in your NAS might not be compatible with modern browsers
  • If your firmware is very old, then it might be best to upgrade first to something in between whatever you are running now and 4.1.16. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements