× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 sensors issue

europrobe
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 sensors issue

Starting yesterday, my (old) Readynas Ultra 2 started alerting me about temperature and voltage outside spec. For a while, I assumed the thing was about to burn up and raced to get my data off of it. But then it hit me that according to the sensors, the temperature swang wildly between -1C and 55C. Voltages were so far off spec that it would simply not be working at all. And the fan was (intermittently) reported as 0 RPM, when I could still clearly hear it running.

So; it seems I have an issue with my hardware sensors. Do any of you all have any suggestions for what I should do? I suppose I could ignore it, but the erratic temperature reading makes the fan go at maximum speed, making a lot of noise.

Thanks for any help.

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 sensors issue

Are you using OS6 on your Ultra2 device?

Message 2 of 5
europrobe
Aspirant

No, i use the newest stock version, whatever that is. 4.2.30, i think.
Message 3 of 5
europrobe
Aspirant

Sorry, I just checked and it is Raidiator 4.2.31. I'm a bit hesitant on installing OS6 since it seems a lot of work. Do you think it would do any good?

Otherwise I am thinking of replacing the NAS altogether. I am concerned with the continued reliability of my Ultra since it seems it is breaking down...

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@europrobe wrote:

Sorry, I just checked and it is Raidiator 4.2.31. I'm a bit hesitant on installing OS6 since it seems a lot of work. Do you think it would do any good?

I think he was just confirming that you hadn't converted to OS 6.  There have been some situations when sensors misbehaved after people did that.

@europrobe wrote:

Otherwise I am thinking of replacing the NAS altogether. I am concerned with the continued reliability of my Ultra since it seems it is breaking down...

One option is to replace it (perhaps with an RN422).  Then try converting it to OS 6 (much less work after the data's been migrated off).  If it works ok, then use it as a backup NAS.  If not, just let it go.

But let's see if @Retired_Member chimes back in with another suggestion.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements