× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Change defective HD still dead

PederMyhre
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Change defective HD still dead

Hello!

I have read all the topics about dead harddrives but i still dont understand the solution to my problem.

I have 4 disks running: RAID Level X-RAID2, 4 disks

Disk 2 went dead (I took it out and connectet it to a computer, it didn't find it and made funny sounds)

In the front view it also tells me that disk 2 is dead. 

I hotswapped it with a new one (checked the compability list and the disk is in that list) 

In the log it says: Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 2.

After a few days the Frontview says the disk is dead and C: is unprotected. 

I did a reboot of the nas, same message and nothing more happens. 

Turned the nas off and took out the disk, startet the nas and inserted the disk when up and running. In the display it shows Testing disk 2, then Disk 2 passed, in the log it says: New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 2] and: Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 2.

In the health window in frontview it still says disk 2 dead. 

I have the latest firmware and the NAS is up and running on 3 disk's.

Why is disk 2 still dead and why doestn't resync show up?

And in the health window the modelnumber of the old drive is still showing. 

Model: RNDU4000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 4)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Change defective HD still dead

What firmware are you running in the ultra?

Also what disk model are you using?

Try hovering your mouse over the volume icon at the bottom of the web UI.  That should give you some volume status also, please let us know what it says.

Message 2 of 8
PederMyhre
Aspirant

I'm running RAIDiator 4.2.31 

The old disk's are Segate ST20000DL003 (In bay 1,3,4)

The new disk is Segate ST2000DM006 (In bay 2 )

In the disk status it's still ST20000DL003 in bay 2, but it should be ST2000DM006, and not showing temperature. 

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, a Seagate Ironwolf would have been a better disk choice.  Seagate DMs don't have a good track record with RAID.  The HCL hasn't been updated for years now, so it isn't a useful guide anymore.  You're better off getting a current NAS-purposed drive (Seagate Ironwolf or Western Digital Red) or an enterprise-class disk. I don't recommend desktop class drives for NAS use anymore.

I think the next step is to pull disk 2, and test it in a Windows PC with Seatools.  You can connect it to the PC either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock. 

Message 4 of 8
PederMyhre
Aspirant

Hello again and thank's for the reply.

The first disk i tried was a new Segate Skyhawk, that didn't work, then i read in the compability list and got a Segate Baracuda that was in the list, but that did not work either, as showed in the picture in my last post. Now i got a WD red NAS disk and the same message as the Baracuda showed ut, 

New disk detectet

Testing new disk

Ned disk passed the test

Volume will be rebuildt on disk 2

Then nothing more happens.

The nas is still showing the model number og the old disk that's been there for many years. 

everything is the same as in the postet picture. 

Now i tried three different new disks and still no progress.. 

Any ideas anyone?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Try hovering over the both the volume icon and the disk s icon on the home page (the "ball" icons at the bottom), and see if you get a status that indicates the RAID array is syncing.

If you do see this, then I suggest waiting a while, and see if sync completes.  Then reboot if the disk list still shows the wrong disk.

If you don't see this status, you could try powering down, and removing the power cable for a couple minutes.  Then remove the new disk, boot the NAS, and try hot-inserting it one more time.

Message 6 of 8
PederMyhre
Aspirant

I did what you wrote just now. 

When i startet the nas everything still looks like the picture i posted. In the Raidar tool i see that disk 2 is missing (Since i have not plugged it in yet) But in the nas the it says Segate .(Model number) ....  Dead

Before shutdown the disk bubble said the same as in the picture, Segate ..(Modelnumber).   Dead

In the volume bubble it is just a warning that the volume is not redundand

After shutdown, no power for 10 minutes, startup and inserting disk everything is just the same, same message in the bubbles and in the log as the picture. 

Before shutdown now this wd red disk had been running for 4 days without any result (Same as the two other new drives). 

I also get a message about error count increasing on disk 3 and i should replace this disk before it stop's working, but i cant do that before disk 2 is operative, the volume is still intact but probably not for very long.  

What do i do now? 

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@PederMyhre wrote:

What do i do now? 

Back up your data, since it is at risk.  If you don't have enough storage for that, you can start with the irreplacable files.

I am suspecting that the SATA port for slot 2 might have failed.  After the backup you can power down, remove all disks (labeling by slot), and then put the new disk in slot 1.  Power up, and do a factory install (should be automatic with an unformatted disk).  If that succeeds, power down the NAS and move the disk to slot 2. If the NAS boots, then slot 2 is ok.  If it fails, then the slot has failed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements