× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Fan Noise

delanod
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Fan Noise

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus with the latest firmware. On a fresh boot, the fans resolve to an acceptable level. However, after running for a while, the fans are suddenly at full blast, and I can't get them to slow down with anything less than a reboot. I've tried the calibrate function, and it does not appear to do anything.

I think I've narrowed down "when" this shift from low to max speed happens. I have maintenance tasks run at 2:00am on Sunday mornings. It is later on Sunday morning that I notice the noise. I don't think this happens every week, but it does happen enough to be annoying.

Is this a known problem?
Is there a solution?
Anything I can dump to help diagnose the problem?

My feeling is, this is a bug in the firmware that needs to be addressed.

David
Message 1 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk scrubbing puts the disks under heavy stress and would be expected to involve the fan running fast for a time.
Message 2 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

I don't disagree with that statement. However, the fans don't go back to normal after the maintenance has finished. I let the ReadyNAS go for two days in this condition this time around, and the fans were still running at jet engine speed. There needs to be something that lets them go back to idle speed when the maintenance is finished.

David
Message 3 of 21
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Delanod, I assume that you haven't replaced the fans, pulled any fans out and reinstalled them backward, covered up the case vents, installed any fan-control addons, edited enclosure.db, etc. Is that a correct assumption?

What firmware version are you running?

When the fans are running "at jet engine speed", what temperatures do you see in the Health tab for the drives, the system, and the cpu? What RPM is shown for the fans?

Have you opened the case and blown the dust out of all three fans? (If you haven't and you want to, be careful when you blow out the dust not to spin the fan too quickly; over-revving a fan with compressed air is a quick way to kill its bearing.)
Message 4 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

I have the firmware updated to the latest, whatever that is. RAIDar says 4.2.24. This is a fairly new unit, and I haven't modded anything on it. I don't think it's a dust or temperature issue, since it runs fine after a reboot. I'll have to check the temperature and speed when it goes into overdrive again, probably Sunday. Currently, the health parameters are:

Fan SYS 1188 RPM OK
Fan CPU 2280 RPM OK
Temp SYS 58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 39.5 C / 103 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F]

The unit is currently as quiet as my desktop, which runs very quiet with temperature controlled fans, and an SSD that is noiseless.

David
Message 5 of 21
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ok, please do post again when the fans are running fast. And please be sure to post disk temperatures in addition to the other two.
Message 6 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

I will do that. And, just to get a record of it, the current disk temps are 36-39 C.
Message 7 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

No problems today, so wait until next week. Here are the temps:

Disk 1 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 36 C / 96 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 39 C / 102 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 39 C / 102 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 37 C / 98 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1171 RPM OK
Fan CPU 2250 RPM OK
Temp CPU 39 C / 102 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F] OK
Message 8 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

It took a while, but the problem appeared again today. The fan noise was way up this morning, but maintenance was not complete, so I ignored it. Now, however, the maintenance has been complete for about 10 hours and the fan noise is still up. Note that the CPU fan is running about twice the speed, and the CPU temperature is up.

Device Description Status
Disk 1 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 39 C / 102 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 931 GB , 42 C / 107 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 42 C / 107 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 41 C / 105 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 40 C / 104 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 2794 GB , 38 C / 100 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1250 RPM OK
Fan CPU 4560 RPM OK
Temp CPU 50.5 C / 122 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F] OK
UPS 1 Not present NA

So, the fan is cooling as it should, but something is driving the CPU temperature up. Is there any way to tell what is running that might be causing excessive CPU usage?

David
Message 9 of 21
fastfwd
Virtuoso

delanod wrote:
something is driving the CPU temperature up. Is there any way to tell what is running that might be causing excessive CPU usage?

If you have SSH access to the NAS, you can use the "top" command to see a list of running processes sorted by CPU usage.
Message 10 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

Do I need to have something installed on the NAS to have SSH access?
Message 11 of 21
fastfwd
Virtuoso

delanod wrote:
Do I need to have something installed on the NAS to have SSH access?

Yeah, you need this addon: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203 (choose the "x86" version).

When you connect via SSH, your username is root and your password is the same as your Frontview admin password.

At the "#" prompt, type top to see the list of active processes; when you're done, hit Q to quit top and then type exit at the "#" prompt to close your SSH session.
Message 12 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

I'm installing the plugin, but that needs a reboot. With a reboot, the problem will likely go away, and I'll have to wait for it to happen again.
Message 13 of 21
FiVe27
Aspirant

Hello i know what is your problem. The WD hard drives have a big operating temperature. I used this drive in my NAS whit-out Fan, only testing purpose. The temperature was after 20 minutes 65 - 70 degrees.It was Unbelieveble.
I wrote some ask for WD i put my money to only two HDD, but the temperature is so high. And in the specification is write is a NAS storage drive with everything lower than others. But its not true. This disk are biggest shit what i bouth.

I never forget to WD. Before 10 years i decide never buy WD. But one year before i bought firs WD my book and there was Green WD 1 TB disk. Everithing looks good. After i put this disk in my Computer for Data. everithing looks good but sometimes the start of this disk is slower. I must wait about 5 second when i try browse of this HDD. I thing this company makes drive cheaper but no so good.

Thax.

P.S. Why i need that high security for password for this forum this is ridiculously.

BYE BYE :neener:
Message 14 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

delanod if you download your logs what is the date in bios_ver.log ?
Message 15 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

bios_ver.log says 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0

FiVe27 - Are these the WD Red label NAS drives?
Message 16 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

The fans were wailing again this afternoon - note it's Sunday and the maintenance ran last night.

I tried to SSH in. Here is what I get:

$ ssh admin@192.168.0.6
admin@192.168.0.6's password:
Linux delano-readyNAS 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4 #1 SMP Tue Nov 12 18:53:39 PST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Last login: Sun Feb 9 19:20:44 2014 from 192.168.0.100
Connection to 192.168.0.6 closed.

I seem to get immediately logged out. I logged into the ReadyNAS to see if the plugin was loaded, and there is nothing that would indicate that it is. So, I tried again to install it. That, of course, meant a reboot.

After the reboot I had a message that a new firmware was available and that I needed to reboot to finish installing it. So, I rebooted again.

I think I'm back to stable, but of course the fans are silent now. I tried again to SSH and I get the same response. What am I missing to get SSH enabled? I need to get that working so that I can use it the next time the fans take off.

David
Message 17 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The user for SSH is 'root' not 'admin'. The password is initially set to be the same as the admin password.
Message 18 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

The problem appears to happen once a month, though somehow December was skipped. The last three occurrences were 11/19, 1/12, 2/9. I wasn't keeping track before that.

David
Message 19 of 21
delanod
Aspirant

Thanks! I overlooked that. I have it working now, ssh that is.
Message 20 of 21
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

yes, CPU fan might be in auto-control mode. check bios is a good point.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements