× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 doesn't boot - Stuck on "ReadyNAS" prompt screen

Paltoquet
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 doesn't boot - Stuck on "ReadyNAS" prompt screen

Hello everyone

I have exact same symptoms as the thread "ReadyNAS Ultra 6 doesn't boot - Stuck on ReadyNAS prompt screen"

I took (and lightened) the message of this post

sorry for me english !

I have upgraded my old ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to OS6, from 4.2.

I replaced the 1GB RAM in the unit with 2x1GB sticks, and followed the upgrade process (BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin, PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin, R4toR6_6.9.5.bin), and all seemed good.

6x2TB disks : resync OK.

All seemed OK, I then did the auto-update to the last firmware version : restart ...all was OK.

Attempted to power the NAS back on - it now just says "ReadyNAS" on the front panel, and won't do anything else. Holding down the reset switch does not bring up any boot menu. I have pulled all the disks, no change. I swapped the memory back to the original 1GB, no change.

Tried to downgrade firmware to 4.2 and to reset the unit (no data) with the switch

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Message 1 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Paltoquet wrote:

Attempted to power the NAS back on - it now just says "ReadyNAS" on the front panel, and won't do anything else. Holding down the reset switch does not bring up any boot menu. I have pulled all the disks, no change. I swapped the memory back to the original 1GB, no change.

This looks like a power supply issue -  unfortunate timing, but perhaps linked to the extra load of rebuilding the RAID array. Perhaps @Sandshark will confirm.

The PSU is something you can replace.

Message 2 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

The unit will say "ReadyNAS" with nothing except the 5V from the PSU.  That means the processor doesn't even need to be running.  So the first thing to check is that you fully inserted the memory.  Then try with just one DIMM, and then the other, in case one is bad.  If that's not it, then the PSU is a likely candidate.  If you have a standard ATXV12 computer PSU available to test with, you can connect it externally to see if a new PSU will fix the problem.  I recommend doing the testing without the drives until you get to the point the NAS complains of "No disks".  Then, install your drives with power off and I expect all will be well when you power up.  If you don't have a PSU to test with, the SFX format supply needed for the NAS is pretty inexpensive.  Though the original is rated at 300W, I recommend at least a 350W replacement because the original can deliver more +12V than typical 300W supplies.  You can also use that supply externally to see if it's the right fix before you go through the trouble of installing it internally.

A standard SFX supply needs a couple adapter/extender cables to work.  You can find units on eBay that are already modified for use with a ReadyNAS, though you'll pay a little more.

Message 3 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello StephenB...

removed all disks...same result ... the unit upgraded firmware without problem... shut down... and then no reboot

Sry for my english 🙂

Message 4 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello Sandshark

Will try to change power supply...allready removed disks and memory... and replaced original one .
...tried to reinit the unit
I will post the result here

Thanks all for your help

Message 5 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Power supply changed ... Stuck on "ReadyNAS" 😫

Message 6 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm out of ideas except to install a VGA connector on the motherboard VGA header and see what's going on when it boots, if anything.

Message 7 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello

Not easy to find!

I think I have same probleme as ItsPeter ...its a problem with my VPD file...i will try to contact mods

Message 8 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

If the problem is with the VPD, it will usually show up in RAIDar with a bad or non-existent unit type and serial number, but still show up.  I'm not sure what you get on the display, as I have only experimented with this on units without one.

Message 9 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello ...

The unit is not visible on raidar ...the network socket does not flash when connected.

Message 10 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Paltoquet wrote:

The unit is not visible on raidar ...the network socket does not flash when connected.

Not good.  Either something isn't right with the new PSU, or the NIC has also failed.

Is the LCD screen working properly - for instance showing the system appearing to boot normally?  Maybe also see if you can access the boot menu.

Message 11 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

I will try again to connect a PC power supply...

pressing the reset button on the back does not change anything

Message 12 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

Is this an Ultra6, or Ultra6 Plus?  If it's a plus, make sure you remembered to connect the 4-pin square connector that powers the CPU.  The Ultra6 doesn't use that.

The NIC and power button are powered by +5VSB (+5V StandBy).  If that's underrated on your replacement supply, that could also be an issue.  It's a common failure on the supply because it's on all the time, even when the unit is "off".  I suppose a failing supply could have taken other components with it.

Message 13 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

This is a ultra 6 not a +... i just tried to connect a external power supply ...same thing  stuck with readynas
Sans titre.jpg

Message 14 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello all
I have 2 readynas ultra 4, 1 ultra 4 +, 2 pro6 (with E7400 CPU), 1 ultra 2...all upgraded to OS 6... but my ultra 6 and my second ultra 2 are bricked...

I will (this sunday) sold VGA cable ...

I read forums...i think VPD files are corrupt
Sorry for my english ! 🙂

Message 15 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Paltoquet wrote:

I think VPD files are corrupt

I'm tagging the mods ( @Marc_V and @JeraldM ) to call their attention to your post.

Message 16 of 41
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Paltoquet

Welcome to the Community!

Can you still boot the Ultra 6 and Ultra 2 on SDM? Can RAIDar still detect them? If you can provide the SDM port and labels of your NAs we might be able to try and check if we can get the VPD fixed. Please make sure to have the S/N and model of your NAS included on the photo of the label.

Send me the SDM port and photo via PM.

HTH

Message 17 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello Marc

These units are bricked... raidar does not detect them ...no network ligth when i connect network cable... i build usb restore key (with raidiator 4 and os6)... but nothing ...

Ultra 2 led change when I enter in boot menu with reset switch... but nothing...appen

Sorry for my english 🙂 🙂
Thanks in advance for you help!

Message 18 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello StephenB THANKS !!

Message 19 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Maybe these unit can run on a linux distribution... I prefer OS6 !!

I am not a linux expert

Good night 🙂

Message 20 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

My nas does not boot in TSM ...I will try to copy VPD file from another nas ...
Hope i can fix my ultra 6!

Message 21 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are copying the VPD, it must be from another NAS of the same type.  Exception would be between units with the exact same architecture but different model numbers, but that doesn't apply to you unless your NAS is an Ultra6 PLUS, not just an Ultra6.  And doing so will also duplicate the serial number.  The only thing I know that serial number duplication will cause a problem with is ReadyCloud, but there could be others.  I'm unsure how RAIDar will handle it.  But it will certainly show you that that is the issue, so you can ask one of the mods to help re-create your proper VPD.

Message 22 of 41
Paltoquet
Aspirant

Hello

for the ultra 2, I'm going to try to copy the VPD from my second ultra 2... Unfortunately, I don't have a second ultra 6... it takes the VPD from an ultra 4
For the moment, I don't know how to proceed... for the moment, I only wish to be able to start them...

Sorry for my english 🙂

Message 23 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@Paltoquet wrote:

for the ultra 2, I'm going to try to copy the VPD from my second ultra 2... Unfortunately, I don't have a second ultra 6... it takes the VPD from an ultra 4
For the moment, I don't know how to proceed... for the moment, I only wish to be able to start them...

The mods ( @Marc_V and @JeraldM ) sometimes repair the VPDs remotely, so that is perhaps an option.

Message 24 of 41
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

Hi @Paltoquet,

Please send a photo of the label showing the model and serial number of the ReadyNAS (usually located at the rear or bottom of the unit) via private message. 

Lastly, please enable Secure Diagnostics Mode (see KB article here) and provide the 5 digit code via private message as well.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements