× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 rattling

sventunus
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 rattling

Dear Netgear,

I have been owning a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 for about 2 years, and since a couple of weeks the device is making a rattling sound all the time.
I removed the side panels from the case to check if a wire was touching a fan or something, but don't see anything unusual.
So I suspect it is the drives that are making the noise.

Should I be worried that my drives are going to fail anytime soon?
And what can I do about this rattling sound? It's very annoying.
The disks all report OK in Frontview (5 disks total, 6 drive bays).

Thank you for your feedback!

Sven
Message 1 of 9
kossboss
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 rattling

If 1 drive fails replace it immediately - you can hot swap it or swap it with a shutdown
Check logs frequently - for ATA Errors: 1 and over - Reallocated Sectors: 50 and over - thats when we replace drives (if you purchased the NAS with drives, call us when you see errors like that and we will replace the disks) If you purchased disks seperately please call drive manufacturer.
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Sometimes a failing disk will rattle, sometimes it is a chassis fan.

One way to check is to power down the NAS, remove all the drives (labeling the slots!) and then turn it back on. If it still rattles, it is the chassis.

Turn the NAS off, and replace the disks in their original positions.
Message 3 of 9
sventunus
Aspirant

@kossboss: the logs show no anomalities, the drives look fine.
@StephenB: that's a great tip, will try that this weekend, thanks! Cannot shutdown the NAS right now as it is a production unit that has too much going on. This weekend I could test, however.

@kossboss: I bought the unit with 3 drives included. If I should see disk errors in the near future, then I assume I am eligible for disk replacement? Bought the unit new through a reseller, so warranty should apply. Which number may I dial? I live in Belgium, but will call an international number & send the unit anywhere I can get service. Thanks!
Message 4 of 9
sventunus
Aspirant

@kossboss: If it would turn out to be a chassis fan that is rattling, then can this be serviced under warranty just as well?
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

sventunus wrote:
@kossboss: the logs show no anomalities, the drives look fine.
@StephenB: that's a great tip, will try that this weekend, thanks! Cannot shutdown the NAS right now as it is a production unit that has too much going on. This weekend I could test, however.
Note that the system won't fully boot up without drives. If you don't hear any rattle, and you have a scratch drive handy you can insert it and let the NAS start its install. (no harm is done since the OS is on the disks).

You can also power each drive separately (for instance with a USB/SATA adapter kit), and see if any of them rattle when they spin up. You might need a PC for that though (running a disk diag to generate some seeking).

The main thing to remember is that the ReadyNAS will wipe any disks you hot-insert.
Message 6 of 9
sventunus
Aspirant

Hey Stephen,

I have USB HDD docking stations laying around & can test disks using testdisk by CG Security under Linux, so no problem there.
I don't suspect any problems with the drives however. I assume it's the disk mounting or the chassis fans that are causing the rattle, but we'll know for sure this weekend.

Thanks once again for the tips!
Extremely logical & simple, if you think of it that is 😉
Message 7 of 9
sventunus
Aspirant

Ok, so it is the chassis fan that is causing the rattle, as I suspected. I removed all the disks, booted the NAS and it started rattling right away.
Also tested each individual disk just to be sure they're ok.
So where do we go from here? Will Netgear replace the fan for me, and if so, where do I have to send my unit? How long will I be missing it for?
Or is this just a standard chassis fan and can I replace it myself? Anyone knows what will fit the case & board?
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'd start a support request at support.netgear.com I'm not sure if they will offer to send you a PSU or RMA the unit. In the latter case they can ship it in advance of the return (so there is no downtime).

They can probably also answer the do-it-yourself question, though it might void the warranty.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements