× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra restriping.

ReadyNAS Ultra restriping.

Hello fellow NAS-owners,

i hope i post this in the right section.

Anyways, long story short: i recently made a factory default on my NAS with 5 WD Red 3tb disks in it. After that i started to copy back data i had backed up in my computer.

Everything went fine and it felt extra good knowing that i had chosen XRAID2 (dual redundancy) this time, had XRAID (single redundancy) prior to this.

I then proceeded to add the last disk (6/6) to the NAS and it found it and started the restriping process.

Fine, so i continued to copy more data onto the NAS and the restriping process was around 60% when the power went out (the washing machine does this from time to time), so i got the power back on and the NAS started up, showing all the disks and the boot process seemed fine.

The restriping process started at 0% and i thought it started over again, so i went to my computer and logged into the NAS and everything looked normal, i also checked if i could still access the volume on the NAS and i could. All the data seemed to be there.

I took another look at the display of the NAS and to my surprise the process continued where it was before the power cut, so it was around 65% or something and still going.

My question is: should i be worried? The NAS seems to handle the problem just fine by itself.

I stopped copying any more data just in case.

If something bad happened or something went wrong because the power cut i would have noticed already right?
Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 34
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like it will be ok.

I suggest that you might want to get a UPS for your NAS.  That would ensure a clean shutdown when you lose power in the future.

Message 2 of 34

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i will definately get myself a UPS, does it need to be a special type that is compatible or will any do?

Regarding the restriping: like i mentioned i have 5x3tb (WD Red) and i added another (6/6), same size and everything. Is the NAS preparing just that last disk or is it using all of them?

What could i do when the process has finished to eliminate all causes for concern? An offline filesystem check?

I’m thinking what if this situation creates future problems? If the restriping process finishes and everything looks fine, could something else go wrong? Corrupted files or something like that?
Message 3 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PerfectOnline wrote "the power went out (the washing machine does this from time to time)"

To eliminate the root cause for your outages, you might not only want to look for a ups as recommended by @StephenB, but also consider to have a decent washer 🙂

Kind regards

Message 4 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

but also consider to have a decent washer 🙂

Sounds more like there might be a wiring issue or an overloaded circuit to me.  If this happens fairly regularly, it would make sense to have an electrician take a closer look.

Message 5 of 34

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yeah, i will definately report this to the landlord (it’s a rental so it’s free service).

Strange that it does it from time to time and not all the time, seems to always be when there are only a couple of minutes left on the program. Anyways, it will be reported, the dryer is dead too so merry christmas to the owners 😁.

The NAS finished the striping process and then continued to resync and that went fine as well, am i good now?

I want that good feeling back when it felt like my NAS was like new again, i recently bought two new drives for it (still one left to put in/replace). Is my NAS golden now? Could something else go wrong?

To my surprise it reports 8.1TB, shouldn’t it be more like 10TB? I have 6xWD Red 3TB in RAIDX2 DR.

What UPS do you guise recommend?
Message 6 of 34

Something is fishy, i did some basic math and: 6x3=18.

8.1TB available out of 18TB in total? Should 9.9TB serve as security for only 8.1TB?
Message 7 of 34
StephenB
Guru

If you chose RAID-6/dual redundancy, then 6 TB are used for the parity blocks needed for redundancy.  That leaves 12 TB for storage.  But the NAS reports in TiB, so it should be reporting 10.9 TB.

It sounds like the expansion didn't happen when you inserted the 6th drive.

Message 8 of 34

that’s what i thought, perhaps something did go wrong during the restriping process after all.

I’m grateful for the answers i got in this thread, thanks guise.

I tried to reboot but it didn’t change from 8.1 to 10 so i powered off the NAS and booted it into the Disk Test mode and last time i checked it was at 90%.

Looks like i’m going to need to order another drive, backup the data and do another factory default, i guess that is the only way to be sure that the volume is healthy.

Regarding a UPS, is there something special i need to think about when getting one? Compatibility, Watts and what not?
Message 9 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

Before you try the factory default, remove the last drive inserted, remove all partitions using a PC, and insert it again.  Since all drives see a lot of activity during a re-sync or expansion, you should always have a backup before initiating one.  The liklihood of a drive failure duing one is higher than in normal use.

As for the UPS, most are compatible with NUT (Network UPS Tools), which is what Netgear uses for UPS managment.  There is a compatibility list available at the NUT site.

Message 10 of 34

Thanks for the tip about removing the last inserted drive, but why should i remove it? Isn’t it best to leave it in the NAS and to have all the slots filled when i perform a factory default?

When i did that previously i had 5/6 drives in the NAS, one of the six drives was dead according to the NAS and the two new drives i had ordered were filled with data.

I was hoping this solution would work: copy the stuff from the NAS to harddrives, perform a factory default chosing RAIDX2 DR, copy the data back to the new volume and after that empty the two new drives i was using to backup to then move them into the NAS starting with filling the final empty slot out of the six then leaving it to expand with that drive and then replace another disk in the NAS that had problems with the last new WD Red 3tb.

But, it didn’t work so i’m one drive short to actually back up all that data again so i just ordered another 3tb WD Red which is going to first act as a backup then going into the NAS replacing one of the drives with errors.

I didn’t mentioned the original state of the NAS: out of 6 3tb drives 3 had smart errors, one of them was pretty bad but it wasn’t the one ending up being declared dead by the system.

I hope all of this makes sense.

I have a final question though: i mentioned that i booted the NAS into the disk test mode and now it has finished but the little LCD-display now only states: Testing disks

Is this correct? I mean should’nt there be some results or something like that? Perhaps those will show up later in the frontend?

Is it safe to power the NAS down?

Thanks for your patience guise.
Message 11 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@PerfectOnline wrote:
Thanks for the tip about removing the last inserted drive, but why should i remove it? Isn’t it best to leave it in the NAS and to have all the slots filled when i perform a factory default?

@Sandshark is suggesting a way that doesn't need a factory default.  It's not guaranteed to work, but the odds of success are pretty good.  You could just do another default, and do everything over too.

@PerfectOnline wrote:

I didn’t mentioned the original state of the NAS: out of 6 3tb drives 3 had smart errors, one of them was pretty bad but it wasn’t the one ending up being declared dead by the system.

Overall it's pretty important to use healthy drives in RAID arrays.  Can you post the errors here - at least the one that was "pretty bad"?

@PerfectOnline wrote:
I have a final question though: i mentioned that i booted the NAS into the disk test mode and now it has finished but the little LCD-display now only states: Testing disks

Is this correct? I mean should’nt there be some results or something like that? Perhaps those will show up later in the frontend?

Is it safe to power the NAS down?

I haven't used the boot menu to test disks.  The hardware manual says  Disk test. Performs an offline full disk test. This can take 4 hours or more depending on the size of your disks. Any problems are reported on the status display screen or in the RAIDar discovery tool.

How do you know that the test is completed?  Is RAIDar telling you that?

But it should be safe to power down or reboot.

As far as results go, the SMART stats are created (and stored) in the drives - not the NAS.  So SMART errors will be preserved.  Errors in the chassis (for instance if there is an issue with the SATA backplane) wouldn't be preserved.

Message 12 of 34

Okey, yeah perhaps i should try to pull that last drive again, but then again a new drive is on the way so i can put the NAS in factory default mode with all bays full which would be the best solution.

The only downside is that i must wait for it to arrive but that will only take a day or so.

If i pull the drive and insert it again i guess it is going to restripe mode again and that takes a day or so, perhaps it is better to wait for the new drive, sure i need to do the backup again but i discovered that if i use the jumbo network mode the whole process takes about half the time.

I’m going to post the smart reports on that particular drive.

The process finished late last night and if i remember it correctly the NAS all of the sudden was booted in the normal mode and everything looked fine.

This may be a bit off topic but i have noticed that the main fan (the 12cm one) is spinning just below 900rpm and that isn’t optimal if you ask me.

I’m planning to replace it with a beQuiet! fan, perhaps that will cool better and be a little bit more quiet.

Any tips for replacing the fans? Could i replace the little one too? I guess it is an 80mm one.

I suspect that the original fans are OEM fans and it might be worth it to upgrade to better ones? Any experience with this?

The CPU is mostly at 50c and the system perhaps 40-41c, are those numbers acceptable?

While on the topic, i have been thinking about removing the heatsink on the CPU to reapply the thermal paste with a good one, perhaps that would knock off some degrees.

I must say that i am fond of this NAS and i’m no stranger to all kinds of improvements to it. I have for example upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2gb, perhaps i could do more? If i remember it correctly though, 2gb is the upper limit.
Message 13 of 34

Okey, are the smart errors i was talking about:

Errorfrequency for reading raw data = 6177
Time to start = 6108
Starts/stops = 5532
Counter for reallocated sector = 5
Frequency for seak errors = 0
Amount of hours powered on = 20535
Amount of retrys to start = 0
Amount of retrys to calibrate = 0
Amount of power on/off = 1365
Amount of power offs = 28
Amount of readingcycles = 5503
Degrees in celcius = 24
Counter for reallocated event = 5
Current number of sectors pending = 0
Offline non correctable = 0
Amount of CRC errors under UDMA = 0
Errorfrequency for multizone = 0
Amount of ATA errors = 0

I had to translate the whole thing since it is in swedish but i guess you’ll get the picture.
Message 14 of 34
StephenB
Guru

The raw read error rate is (I believe) in a proprietary format that depends on the manufacturer.  So I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to that value.   5 Reallocated sectors isn't too bad, I generally get concerned when the counts rise to 25-50.  Still, it could start rising during a resync, and of course if the drive can't be read or written the resync would fail.

@PerfectOnline wrote:

This may be a bit off topic but i have noticed that the main fan (the 12cm one) is spinning just below 900rpm and that isn’t optimal if you ask me.

I’m planning to replace it with a beQuiet! fan, perhaps that will cool better and be a little bit more quiet.

Any tips for replacing the fans? Could i replace the little one too? I guess it is an 80mm one.

I suspect that the original fans are OEM fans and it might be worth it to upgrade to better ones? Any experience with this?

The CPU is mostly at 50c and the system perhaps 40-41c, are those numbers acceptable?

900 rpm is reasonable - I replaced the fan in my Pro-6 a while ago with a Noctua NF-S12A FLX.  The Noctua is quieter, but it is running at about ~825 rpm at the moment.

Replacing the PSU fan is possible, but it requires removing the PSU from the chassis and disasembling it.  It's quite easy to knock off a heat sink on the system board when you do this.  The CPU fan is easier to replace, but you need 80mm x 80mm x 15mm.  If you go with the more common 80mm x 80mm x 20mm the side panel won't fit.

On temps, of course it does depend on ambient room temperature, and also on the disk choice.  My Pro runs 6x3TB WD30EFRX, and is in a fairly cold basement.  Currently the disk temps range from 16-19C, the CPU is 16C, and the system is 49C.  However, the CPU sensor depends on the processor chipset, and in some cases it doesn't reliably report low temperatures (and of course it is intended to detect too high temps).  I have seen reports on the CPU temp being 50C on other ultras.

Message 15 of 34

I see so perhaps that drive is okey then. One out of six drives has been reported dead, i’m gonna test that one in the computer.

Maybe i didn’t need to order three new disks after all, haha. But i guess it doesn’t hurt to mix in some new drives in the array.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the dimensions on that 80mm fan, not sure if i would have noticed that. I’m going to inspect the NAS and see what i will do, would be nice to replace the two fans though.

You seem to have sweet readings on your system. But as you said, the NAS is placed in a basement and i guess it’s below normal ambient temperature down there.

I have been thinking about watercooling the NAS but it would tear my heart apart to drill in that case which i believe is necessary if one should go down that road.

Would make for a cool thread though. 😁
Message 16 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@PerfectOnline wrote:

I have been thinking about watercooling the NAS but it would tear my heart apart to drill in that case which i believe is necessary if one should go down that road.

Would make for a cool thread though. 😁

It surely would.

Message 17 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

Especially for those who desire to install a quad-core processor.

Message 18 of 34

The NAS has finally been factory reset with all the drives in place. Everything went smooth, the only bad thing that happened was that i was warned that the fan was running too slow, i recalibrated it a few times and opened a window and that problem was gone.

Question number one: when i did the factory default i changed the default password and this was during the resync process, did i restart that process or something? I didn’t want the factory default pw during the resync process (tons of hours). Could something have gone wrong or is it okay to do that? I mean the process finished hours later and everything looked good.

Question number two: before all this mess i had the app called Transmission and i liked that one alot, i thought i had made a backup of the app but it was the app called simply: BitTorrent. When searching this site i find the app but the link doesn’t work and i have searched the Google for it to no avail.

I would be forever grateful for a download link that works. Strange that the official link doesn’t work.

Oh, if i would get that crazy idea to water cool the NAS i would definately post pictures on this forum, guaranteed. 😁
Message 19 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

It does appear that Netgear has made invalid all the links to the third-party apps that were available through the forum.  I'm not sure it that has happened this go-around of forum updates, or the last.

Since you had to do a factory default, now would be the time to evaluate if you want to move over to OS6, since that requires a factory default.  In addition ot OS4.2 not being kept up to date, neither are the apps for it, including Transmission.  I highly recommend it.

Another benefit is that if your Ultra fails while running OS6, you can move drives from it directly into a new NAS.

Message 20 of 34

Yeah, strange that they just removed them. I mean we must be many owners of older systems.

I’ve read about changing to OS6 but im uncertain since i’ve sen reports of people having issues and i want my system to be problem free. I’ve been running OS4 since 2013 and i’m confident in that OS.

Sure, it does sound fresh and sweet with a new OS but only if it works and my system isn’t officially supported so i’m not sure.

Do you recommend it even though i have a RNDU6000? What about RAM and stuff? I have upgraded my system to 2gb, is that enough?
Message 21 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

There were problems with OS 6 on legacy equipment in the beginning, but that has long since not been the case.  As long as you stay away from Beta software, you have nothing to fear.  Of course, being officially "unsupported", Netgear could stop having the updates work on the older hardware.  But even stuck at an outdated OS6 version, you would have a far newer OS than 4.2.x. 

I'm ruinng two Pro BE's (with updated processor an memory) and two 4200V2's on OS6.  One of the Pro's is remoely located with my brother (located in the mountains where hurricanes are not a threat, as they are with me), and I use ZeroTier to remotely access and back up to it.  That's not possible with OS 4.2.x.

Message 22 of 34

I see, then i guess my NAS would be having no problems. I must say that i am a little hesitant to do the upgrade since that will add another day of backing up, haha. As of speaking i’m copying the data back to the NAS from the computer.

Is it worth it you say? Are apps supported in OS6?

And most important of all: how do i do the upgrade the easiest and best way? I guess i can’t do a OS Reinstall or something keeping my data, we’re talking factory default right?
Message 23 of 34

What is the best way to upgrade a RNDU6000 to OS6?

Yes, a UPS will be ordered.
Message 24 of 34

I read in the original(?) thread about the OS6 for the RNDU6000 that there where issues and this was back in 2016.

Do i upgrade from netgears own official files or do i have to use ”homebrewed” ones?
Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements