× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS admin page inacessible due to 'Secure Connection Failed'/'unsupported protocol'.

Derek02
Aspirant

ReadyNAS admin page inacessible due to 'Secure Connection Failed'/'unsupported protocol'.

Readynas pro 4 cannot access admin page due to 'Secure Connection Failed'/'unsupported protocol'.

(1) I bought this second hand and performed a factory reset. RNDP4000 RND-4A  running firmware 4.2.31.

(2) I can find it on Raidar Utility version 6.5.0. Using a windows PC.

(3) Using Raidar  'Browse', I can find the device with Windows Explorer. The reset has created two folders, 'backup' and 'media'. I have write access.

(4) Using Raidar 'Admin Page', an error arises and the page is inaccessible in all the following web browsers:

Firefox: 'Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to xx.xx.xx.xx. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol. Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

Chrome: This site can’t provide a secure connection xx.xx.xx.xx uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Edge: The connection for this site is not secure xx.xx.xx.xx uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I cannot find a way to access the admin page on Windows to administer the Readynas Pro 4.

Is there something I am missing? Or is the Readynas Pro 4 no longer able to be used except as a simple local drive?

Thanks

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS admin page inacessible due to 'Secure Connection Failed'/'unsupported protocol'.

I converted my Pro 6 to OS-6 some time ago, and it connects with all three of those browers.

I am running two much older sparc-based ReadyNAS, and I can connect to both of those with Chrome - though I do need to click through a security warning. So if you see an "advanced" control, try clicking it, and see if there is a click-through.

Another option (perhaps temporary) would be to download an old version of firefox and install that.  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/  Then perhaps convert the Pro to OS-6.

Note you don't need RAIDar - you can just browse to http://nas-ip-address/admin (using the actual IP address of course).

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

It's likely a security setting or something in your antivirus.  OS4.2.x uses older versions of protocols and all NAS must use a self-signed certificate.  Given it affects all browsers, my guess would be AV.

Internet Explorer is still available in Win10, so you can try that, too.

Once you have access, I highly recommend you consider upgrading to OS6 before you start loading all your files to it (since the upgrade destroys the volume).  The issues with outdated protocols are just going to get worse as time goes by and the work-arounds are removed.  If your NASA has only the original 1GB of memory, you are going to want to upgrade that, too, to make sure you have enough for OS6, especially if you also plan to run any apps.  

Message 3 of 4
Derek02
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions. I found an old laptop with an old version of Firefox, and was able to access the admin page. From there I performed the upgrade to OS6 as described elsewhere on the forum (the instructions were not entirely accurate/sufficient so some guessing was required). This was eventually successful, and the device now runs OS6 and its admin page is accessible in latest versions of Firefox (I have not tested the other browsers).

Thank you for the help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements