× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS and the Second User market

Mothman1
Tutor

ReadyNAS and the Second User market

I have just purchased a second-hand RN102 from a legitimate supplier. When I try and register the NAS, I cannot as the unit serial number is already registered to the previous owner.
No problem, I thought, I'll raise a help desk call to get it changed - but no, Netgear policy does not allow this. Asking to escalate the issue just got endless repetition of the policy and a refusal to give me the contact details of the person responsible for this policy.

Whilst I understand this from a warranty point of view, it has serious implications for the second user market of devices with Cloud functionality.
The inability to register the device means that ReadyCLOUD; ReadyDROP; ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyNAS Replicate are inaccessible. It also appears that the genie+ marketplace does not work, as it cannot identify my device.

Are Netgear aware of the serious implications this has on their market, that second users will lose major features of their device? Will people buy Netgear products once they know that the second hand value has been seriously reduced due to Netgear's policy of excommunicating their devices?

I believe Netgear need to urgently re-visit this policy, as they are in danger of damaging their market credibility and reputation further.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS and the Second User market

Disable Genie. You can get apps here: http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

As for Cloud user accounts they can be created e.g. here: https://remote.readynas.com/index.jsp?pid=4
Message 2 of 4
Mothman1
Tutor

Thanks mdgm, that helps a lot. Shame the Netgear agent couldn't tell me this.

How do I disable genie?

I still believe Netgear need to re-visit this policy.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under System > Services if Genie is enabled click on the button to disable it.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements