× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS as Media Player for Elderly Relative...

Ogdjstltmein
Aspirant

ReadyNAS as Media Player for Elderly Relative...

I want to use a ReadyNAS as a media player for an elderly relative.

She doesn't use computers and doesn't like to use anything that requires a keyboard and mouse. She does have a small media player, which I bought for her, that operates with a remote control similar to a T.V. remote which she loves and which she's able to operate using its remote control to locate and play files from a USB stick (she's just about tech savvy enough to do this and to use T.V. on demand through her cable box. Anything using a mouse and keyboard I'd have to teach her to use).

The thing is, since I bought her this media player, I'm constantly having to update her memory stick with episodes of Agatha Christie dramas etc. that she watches and re-watches (her memories not so great) and I'm wondering if there's a way of getting a ReadyNAS to function in the same way as this media player. Might there be a way to plug a ReadyNAS into this type of media player so that I can access a hard drive through this media player via its remote control? (it's only input is a USB port).

Or is it possible to get a ReadyNAS to function in this way...i.e. to output to a standard television just like one of these digital media players, through the use of a remote control or just a very simple keyboard and mouse interface that's easy enough for a senior citizen to learn how to use (after I set it up for her).

I'm not very tech savvy but did build my own P.C. and can normally figure this stuff out but the more simple the solution the better it would be for me.

At the moment I have the opportunity to purchase a NetGear ReadyNAS 102 a get a free 1TB hard drive, so whatever help you could give me would be most appreciated.

Many thanks, :0)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS as Media Player for Elderly Relative...

I think you meant to say that you want to use the NAS with a mediaplayer?

What model of mediaplayer did you buy her?
Message 2 of 8
ihartley
Tutor

Boxee box?? I found DLNA on Netgear's NAS a bit ropey, so anything you can access filesystems as well would be good.

XBMC on a Raspberry Pi, using a Wii controller as a wireless remote/mouse??
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I agree that DLNA (and Apple TV) can be temperamental. So the details on the player will help sort out if this is a good idea or not.

Does she have internet service? If so, you could also administer the NAS remotely (loading new shows onto it for her, etc). If not, then replacing the USB thumb drive with a USB hard drive (holding more shows) might be the way to go.
Message 4 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ogdjstltmein wrote:
She does have a small media player, which I bought for her, that operates with a remote control similar to a T.V. remote which she loves and which she's able to operate using its remote control to locate and play files from a USB stick .... The thing is, since I bought her this media player, I'm constantly having to update her memory stick .... Might there be a way to plug a ReadyNAS into this type of media player so that I can access a hard drive through this media player via its remote control? (it's only input is a USB port).

If the problem is simply that the USB stick doesn't have the storage capacity you require, why not replace the USB stick with a USB hard drive? You can buy a 500GB USB drive for approximately $60, and it should just work with the existing media player that your relative already enjoys.
Message 5 of 8
Ogdjstltmein
Aspirant

Thanks guys.

I've managed to pick up a media player from the same manufacturer (Sumvision) that incorporates a hard-drive dock. If it doesn't work with her T.V. I'll follow fstfwd's advice and pick up a USB hard drive for use with the existing player.

Thanks to everyone who responded, it's really appreciated :0)
Message 6 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ogdjstltmein wrote:
If it doesn't work with her T.V. I'll follow fstfwd's advice and pick up a USB hard drive for use with the existing player.

To be fair, it was StephenB's advice, too.

If you do end up buying a USB hard drive, get one with its own AC power supply. Some hard drives require a lot of power, especially at startup, and many USB hosts -- especially in small embedded systems like media players -- do not provide enough over the USB wire.
Message 7 of 8
Ogdjstltmein
Aspirant

fastfwd wrote:
To be fair, it was StephenB's advice, too.

Thanks to StephenB too :0)

fastfwd wrote:
If you do end up buying a USB hard drive, get one with its own AC power supply. Some hard drives require a lot of power, especially at startup, and many USB hosts -- especially in small embedded systems like media players -- do not provide enough over the USB wire.

The media player I ordered arrived today and it seems to be working okay, but thanks for the advice. If it starts to struggle I'll pick up an external hard drive with power supply as suggested, but so far so good. Still testing it.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements