× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS as offsite backup

Tortur
Aspirant

ReadyNAS as offsite backup

I need a simple automatic offsite backup solution for a small office with two users and around 20 GB with data.
The plan is to set up a device (ReadyNAS?) at home, and sync data automaticly from the office.
I've been searching around for a while now to find the answer myself, but I am very confused.
There's a lot of information regarding sharing your data to where ever you are, but there is very little information regarding backup from outside in to the NAS.

Is there an easy "Out Of The Box" way to do remote backup to a private ReadyNAS?

TorF
Message 1 of 6
InTheShires
Tutor

Tortur wrote:
I need a simple automatic offsite backup solution for a small office with two users and around 20 GB with data.
The plan is to set up a device (ReadyNAS?) at home, and sync data automaticly from the office.
I've been searching around for a while now to find the answer myself, but I am very confused.
There's a lot of information regarding sharing your data to where ever you are, but there is very little information regarding backup from outside in to the NAS.

Is there an easy "Out Of The Box" way to do remote backup to a private ReadyNAS?

TorF

A DNS address, and some encryption ideally (Rsync+SSH) should be about it shouldn't it? (To put it very basically)

You'll get better help with more info though. What ReadyNAS do you have, what other OS's (Windows XP/Vista/7/Linux?) How critical and sensitive is the data? What is your connection speed like over the internet?

Just done a very quick search on here, This "might" get you started and give you a few clues. Though I admit I have not read the full contents of the threads. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56499
Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you want to do Rsync over SSH get a Pro Series (Pro 2/4/6) device. That would be a good option.
Message 3 of 6
Tortur
Aspirant

Thanks for replies.
Do I need one NAS on each site to use rsync/ssh, og can I set this up directly from the W7 client to the NAS on remote location?
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can use e.g. DeltaCopy on the Win 7 client. Search the forum for DeltaCopy for more info.
Message 5 of 6
aravindtj
Aspirant

Hope your ReadyNAS device is located different network than the data you want to backup.

In this case, you may need to run a client-server application to backup your data. Run server application in the ReadyNAS network and client application in the data you want to backup. Typically, the server may be FTP server/SSH server/RSync server/any backup server application. Similarly, the client may be FTP client/SSH client/RSync client/backup client application.

Anyway, the client need to connect to the server application through the public lookup name of the server system on the particular port. If the server system is behind the NAT, then the server NAT can port forward the client connection to the server system.

If you want to automatically backup your data to the backup server, it is better to write a script to do the work. If you want to use a 'configure and forget' type of application to backup your data, I recommend you to try out a backup application (e.g., StoreGrid URL: storegrid.vembu.com).
--
Aravind
Vembu Technologies.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements