× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS replacement chassis compatibility question

akahige1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS replacement chassis compatibility question

I have a ReadyNAS RND 4000. The chassis died but the drives are still good.

I was told that the file system on that unit isn't compatible with newer ReadyNAS products, so my only recourse to access my data is to buy an old replacement unit and put my drives into it.

I can't find any of the notes I took, and I wanted to make sure that I am remembering correctly.

My memory is that what I should look for is an NV+ chassis, and that nothing else will work. Is that right?

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS replacement chassis compatibility question

A sparc-based rackmount would also work (for instance the readynas 1100).  It's probably easier to find an NV+.  

If the PSU failed on the old chassis, you can replace that.  There is a pinout modification that needs to be made if you purchase an off-the-shelf supply.  There are a few direct replacement supplies out there (where the mod has already been done), but they do tend to be expensive.

There are a couple of alternatives for off-loading your data.  The volume can be mounted on an x86 linux system - http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

Netgear support can also help you mount the volume temporarily on a new OS 6 readynas so you can offload the data.  I believe they will charge (not sure though).  Details are here: http://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNAS...

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should consider that NV+ units would be several years old by now and that second-hand units may be in questionable condition.

Message 3 of 5
akahige1
Aspirant

It's not the PSU. That was a problem, and Netgear replaced it, but within about a week or so, the main logic board went. Or at least that's what the "expert" concluded it was.

Are there any differences between NV+ variants that I'lll need to beware of, or will anything NV+ solve my problem?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Any v1 NAS will work.  There's not a lot of difference between the NV+ models (at least I've never seen anything documented on that).  There's an older NV which will work, but would be slower.

Since you are purchasing used, you should verify the NAS using a scratch disk first - making sure it is functional, and that the firmware is the same as your old NV+ (or newer).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements