× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS ultra 4 disk failed while adding new disk.

Arnie1000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS ultra 4 disk failed while adding new disk.

Hi,

I have a readynas ultra 4 which contained 4 2TB disks in the netgear raid configuration, XRAID.

Since it was full I today bought a new 4TB disk with the plan to swap all disks to 4TB inorder to get more total storage space, 12TB instead of the current 6TB.

When unplugging disk 4 i got these messages, read from (bottom up to get the correct sequence):

Sun Dec 8 17:00:03 CET 2019The on-line filesystem consistency check completed without errors for Volume C.
 Sun Dec 8 17:00:02 CET 2019The on-line filesystem consistency check has started for Volume C.
 Sun Dec 8 16:43:12 CET 2019RAID sync started on volume C.
 Sun Dec 8 16:42:52 CET 2019Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 4.
 Sun Dec 8 16:41:44 CET 2019New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 4]
 Sun Dec 8 16:36:52 CET 2019If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 10 volume, a failure of this disk's mirror partner will render the volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
 Sun Dec 8 16:36:52 CET 2019Disk failure detected.
 Sun Dec 8 16:36:28 CET 2019A disk was removed from the ReadyNAS. One or more RAID volumes are currently unprotected, and an additional disk failure or removal may result in data loss. Please add a replacement disk as soon as possible.
 Sun Dec 8 16:36:28 CET 2019Disk removal detected. [Disk 4]

and the disk that failed looks to be disk number 2 according to unit and web gui.

The status/health now says,

* disk 2 dead

* disk 4 reserved (with a + sign in the grey circle in the webgui)

I still have the functioning 2TB disk that I pulled to replace with the new 4TB disk.

Is it possible to get the array to work again ?

Now I can acess the folders with the windows explorer but all folders appears empty.

Should I

* Remove the new 4TB disk and replace with the old 2TB ?  How can I tell if this 4 was able to sync ?  I guess it didnt, since disk 2 went dead just after swapping disk 4

Any tips on how to try to get the data back ?

Appreciate any help,

Br Arnie

Model: RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS ultra 4 disk failed while adding new disk.

Just putting the old drive back won't work, as it is now out of sync with the others.  Doing so could make things worse, so I wanted to answer that part of your question right away.

You are in a data recovery situation.  If the second failed drive can still be read, making a clone of it and replacing it with the clone can sometimes help.  There are some other options, paid Netgear support being one of them, fo data recovery, but I'm no expert on them.

Message 2 of 4
Arnie1000
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

After checking my backup, it's not to bad, a little work might be lost pending what happens.

So, I got brave and rebooted the unit and now disk 2 is ok and looks sane with smart etc.

However, the RAID sync starts after reboot and after about 15 minutes it stops and then I cant access the drive after that. 

Retried it and happens about the same time after reboot.

Disk 2 fails and disk 4 is trying to rebuild, it needs 4-5 hours but stops at about 4% when RAID sync stops.

Until then I can retrive som test files just fine, after that the unit has 0 byte of storage.

I pulled disk 4 out and then it seems fine (after reboot), I guess since I didn't trigger RAID sync. But with warnings since there is (of course!) no more redundancy.

I'm on latest official RAIDiator 4 for this unit.

So I guess I'll try to backup whats left on it to a seperate drive with just 3 drives in it...and then clear it and start from scratch...

Is there a best strategy for this? I guess I will hit the problem (at disk 2) at some point....then I'll see whats missing I guess.

Or is there an obvious known fix that just solves my problem ?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'd try to pull the files that aren't backed up from the degraded array.  Try not to pull too much, and hopefully disk 2 won't fail on you before you get what you need.

Then do a factory reset with all the new disks in place, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data from backup.

BTW, while you are at it, you could also convert your NAS to run OS 6.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements