× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS with native VPN support?

jw28995
Aspirant

ReadyNAS with native VPN support?

I provide support for a small office, and they have a MS database application that is currently used by three employees.  2 of the 3 will start working remotely, and they have no office firewall or VPN solution.  Is there a ReadyNAS model that offers it's own native VPN support for those remote users?  The client application requires the DB file to be "local" by either a mapped network drive or UNC path - no cloud storage.

Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

While not a full VPN, ReadyCloud, which is native to all current ReadyNAS models, allows you to map a drive in Windows to a remote ReadyNAS share.  There are other potential VPN solutions (I happen to like ZeroTier), but they must be installed; they aren't native.  ReadyCloud is definately the easier to set up.

Note that a ReadyCloud user and a local user are not the same user from the NAS's perspective, so that can limit the use of private home shares. Note, too, that the mapping for a share via ReadyCloud will be different from a local network mapping.  But as long as you know these up front and set things up accordingly, I think ReadyCloud will meet your needs.  A user can always use ReadyCloud even when on the local network, too, so everything stays consistent.  Netgear kinda points you in that direction, actually.

Message 2 of 3
jw28995
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.  As long as I know all of that going in, we'll figure out how to make it work.  Just hated for them to invest in a hardware solution that was not going to meet their needs.  I appreciate the quick assist!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements