× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS104 copied Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary

BDC-M
Aspirant

ReadyNAS104 copied Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary

I am a newbie here! Clearly there are knowledgeable people all around this community. 

RN104 - Firmware 6.10.4 Hotfix 1. attached to Netgear R7000 Router over ethernet. 

I copied some 30,000 photos from a Macbook pro running Big Sur 11.3.1 to RN104 using a Copy command from Mac directory Photos Library to my networked NAS (by dragging the Photos.library icon across to the NAS icon). The copy actually moved all the photos to the NAS. Looked at Time Machine latest Backup (separate disk attached to Macbook Pro) and it says Photos Library migrated!

No copy of photos on the Macbook Pro anymore. 

Photos all on NAS under a directory Pictures \Photos Library.photoslibrary has folder names 0 to 9 and A to F. individual file names are 32 hex characters long in the format 8-4-4-4-12.jpg (or png).

How do I safely get them off the NAS back to the Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary preferably with names as previously? I have seen elsewhere on NAS blogs that I should take the Disk 1 out of NAS into a SATA disk holder and copy directly to Macbook Pro via USB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS104 copied Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary

@BDC-M wrote:

How do I safely get them off the NAS back to the Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary preferably with names as previously? I have seen elsewhere on NAS blogs that I should take the Disk 1 out of NAS into a SATA disk holder and copy directly to Macbook Pro via USB.

No, don't do that, it won't work.  The disk doesn't use a format that the Mac recognizes.

I'm not a Mac user, but I believe the issue here is that you dragged the icon for the library instead of copying the files themselves with Finder.

You can copy the files back (with finder this time), and then reset the photo libary to use the folder on the Mac. No idea if that will restore the names or not.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

Maybe a Mac user will offer another suggestion.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS104 copied Macbook Pro PhotoLibrary

@BDC-M wrote:

No, don't do that, it won't work.  The disk doesn't use a format that the Mac recognizes.

I'm not a Mac user, but I believe the issue here is that you dragged the icon for the library instead of copying the files themselves with Finder.

You can copy the files back (with finder this time), and then reset the photo libary to use the folder on the Mac. No idea if that will restore the names or not.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414

Maybe a Mac user will offer another suggestion.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements