× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS212 Permission problem on SMB shares for local users

Kryptonic
Aspirant

ReadyNAS212 Permission problem on SMB shares for local users

Hi

I'm currently adjusting all the user permissions on my ReadyNAS shares but I'm unable to give read/write access a specific user, only to the default admin user. I want to be able to access the share via file explorer on a Windows 10 PC with a specific user instead of the default admin user.

Let's say I have only 2 users: the default "admin" user + a "test" user and also a share called ""Dropin".

Both users have "read/write" checked under "network access" (smb protocol) and "file access" (security tab).

For some reason only the admin user can access the Dropin share, I tried it on several Win 10 PC's (same problem).

However if I make the "test" user owner and give owners "read/write" access (under "file access") then my test user suddenly can access the Dropin share (because he's owner and owners have "read/write" access).

I tried rebooting the ReadyNAS + Win 10 PC's several times and I tested it on different new and old shares/different users but always had the same issue.

The "read/write" access for my test user is checked under "network access" and "file access", I don't see the difference between my test user and the admin user. I tried adding my test user to the admin group but it did not help.

I'm I doing something wrong or is another setting perhaps restricting the permissions for my test user (like in Windows when you setup share permissions vs NTFS and 1 of the 2 is restricting the other)?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS212 Permission problem on SMB shares for local users

@Kryptonic wrote:

What does this "folder group" mean?

Folder Owner and Folder Group refer to the owner and group for the share at the top of that page,

FWIW, enabling Everyone access to read/write in the file permissions is safe, as the network access is enough to manage access to the share.  Also, file permissions (and ownership) can be changed from Windows, so it's best practice to use network access anyway.

The only case where you actually need to manage the file permissions more aggressively is when you want to deny access to specific files and folders in the share. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Kryptonic wrote:

Let's say I have only 2 users: the default "admin" user + a "test" user and also a share called ""Dropin".

Both users have "read/write" checked under "network access" (smb protocol) and "file access" (security tab).

For some reason only the admin user can access the Dropin share, I tried it on several Win 10 PC's (same problem).

This should work (it would also work if the "test" user's group also has read/write access).

Though I recommend allowing Everyone read/write access in file access - and only use network access to manage permissions.  So try changing that, and after applying the change, use the reset control to reset all the file permissions in the share.

Message 2 of 5
Kryptonic
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

If I give everyone read/write access in file access then it works, I think I will use this as a workaround thank you.

I also found another method, I don't need to give everyone read/write access (in file access).

If I uncheck read/write for everyone and check it for the "folder group" then my test user also has access to the Dropin share (on condition read/write access is also checked for the test user).

I read somewhere it's linked to guest user by default, I don't see how this affects my test user access rights (which is member of the "users" group).

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Kryptonic wrote:

Folder Owner and Folder Group refer to the owner and group for the share at the top of that page,

FWIW, enabling Everyone access to read/write in the file permissions is safe, as the network access is enough to manage access to the share.  Also, file permissions (and ownership) can be changed from Windows, so it's best practice to use network access anyway.

The only case where you actually need to manage the file permissions more aggressively is when you want to deny access to specific files and folders in the share. 

Message 4 of 5
Kryptonic
Aspirant

Thanks for the clear explanation.
I changed my permissions following the general rules/steps and it works.

I think my problem is solved, this topic can be closed thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements