× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASRNDP4000 Just blinking

DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

ReadyNASRNDP4000 Just blinking

When I power up my ReadyNAS Pro 4 can see only a blinking "_" on the LCD. No text nothing ... I have  2 brand new 2tb drive  

The device didn´t showed up in the Network
- The RAIDar is also not able to find it
- The device is also not showing "ReadyNAS" as mentioned here in the forum

I tried to get into the boot menu via (but gave up after 5 min because nothing appears on the LCD as the underscore):

Power off your unit.
Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
Press the Power button to power on the unit.
Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows an boot menu message. <- after pressing 5 minutes here I gave up.
Press the Backup button to scroll through the boot mode options.
Press and release Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection.
and I tried with no drives  still nothin. I’m thinking I may need to submit an RMA and I tried the usb recovery still nothing. Oh yeah I can see a little on bay 4 and fan is bit loud. So anyone have any clue what cause this 
Message 1 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNASRNDP4000 Just blinking

I don't believe the Pro4 says "ReadyNAS" with just power applied.  My Ultra4 does not, while the legacy 6-drive systems do.  But it should definately say "no disks" with no drives installed and give you a boot menu.  If your Pro4 is still under warranty (since you mentioned RMA, I assume it is), then that is the direction you should move.  I doubt you have a lot of time remaining on the 5-year warranty.

Message 2 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

Thank you so much and I was thinking same rma and yeah I still have warranty until some time in 2024 for the hardware 

Message 3 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

So I hope this a stressful progress I heard so many terrible story’s about netgear trying to charge customers even while we have warranty I would love for someone from netgear to help me with the rma process request. Feel free to pm me  I have some other concerns as well such the Orbi crb40 faulty intel chipset

Message 4 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I hope you are correct regarding your warranty status.  If you are in warranty (which is five years) till 2024, it means you purchased your Pro4 way past it's normal supply chain availability.  AFAIK, Netgear does not honor warranties from "grey market" resellers, they class them the same way as "used".

Message 5 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

Correct so it’s basically useless. Unless I can find the part I need which would be the Ethernet I would assume I would have to replace board pointless. But yeah it say warranty and blah blah good until 2024 and I was thinking buying pro support  but I don’t think that would help or work EOL 

Message 6 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@DominicanMacPro wrote:

But yeah it say warranty and blah blah good until 2024 and I was thinking buying pro support  but I don’t think that would help or work EOL 

If you are in fact covered by the warranty you can contact Netgear support (my.netgear.com) and get an RMA.  You don't need a support contract to do that.

Message 8 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

@StephenB 

Are you sure because I thought when submit the rma you have to call them as well with 24hrs and that’s problem I had  with support wasn’t helpful  had me troubleshoot which he saw the support on my nas basics told me SOL closed my case  and transfer me to Orbi support which I think the reason Nas is damages has something to do with my orbi DoS attacks and Russian hacker overload devices  causing damage few devices got them  windows two laptops, 3 macs laptops , iPhones,I had to drive two hours away to visit apple but at lease they take things seriously. which i filed a police report a while ago for that matter and recently my iPad Pro 11 tb last week saturday I told agent I didn’t want to hook the Orbi back because of the experience I been through with defected product Intel Puma 6   Chipset (“The Puma 6 is an Intel manufactured chipset used in DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems. It because infamous because of its vulnerability to DDoS attacks and extremely high jitter and lag when subjected to stressful conditions like gaming, video streaming and teleconferencing”) but theyclosed my case like they did with my issue on my orbi which is under warranty too. It’s really piss me off  I had problems since I stop using the Orbi  until recently last week. Netgear is aware my Nas was connected to faulty modem but won’t  own it I submitted cases weeks ago Jan 7,2020 suppose to got a called back never I had to call them  since they didn’t answer my emails or update request via my support case follow up. I ended up calling Jan 25,2020 having to repeatedly explain both issues So what can I do about this with netgear? The rep should have never made me hook that damn modem up as you all know the iPad 11 pro tb lte isn’t something cheap neither of my devices were. If they wanted to test dumb they could have just took the damn modem replaced mines  giving me something different like rbk852

I went by this article

Replace my defective product

1. Select your registered product from the drop-down menu.
    Note: If you have not registered your product, click the link below the drop-down menu to register your product or see How do I register a product on MyNETGEAR?.
  2. Click Next.
  3. Select Call us.
  4. Write a brief, detailed description of the problem.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Record your case number.
  7. Call NETGEAR Support within 24 hours.
A stressful hassle if you ask me 

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@DominicanMacPro wrote:
A stressful hassle if you ask me 

They can be hard to reach, but if you purchased new from an authorized reseller then you have warranty coverage.  They likely will push back some, since they stopped selling your NAS in 2013 - so it is rather odd that you were able to purchase a new one as late as you did.

You can eliminate the Orbi from the equation by connecting the NAS directly to a PC via ethernet, and then run RAIDar.  It would be best to do this with the disks removed.   If the NAS ethernet led remains off, then it would have to be the NIC.  If led is lit, then it could be something else - almost certainly hardware related.

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are seeing nothing displayed when you boot with no drives installed, the NIC has nothing to do with it.  You should see it progress from Booting.. to (I think) No Disks.  I don't have anything with a display still running OS4.2.x, and the sequence is a bit different with OS6.  That's all before you even get to the point of it having an IP address assigned.

At the very least, your display is bad.  At the worst, it could be almost anything from a simple corrupted flash memory to a bad part.

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you are seeing nothing displayed when you boot with no drives installed, the NIC has nothing to do with it.  You should see it progress from Booting.. to (I think) No Disks. 

Definitely you should see a No Disks status. Though of course there could be multiple problems. 

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

My Ultra4 oddly ended up in "Safe Mode" when I tried it without drives.

Ift also updated the OS in flash to the latest, as I have seen occur before and which Netgear has steadfastly said will not happen.

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

What did you see in on the LCD panel when it did this? 

Message 14 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

What did you see in on the LCD panel when it did this? 

I ultimately saw "Safe Mode", and pushing the power button quickly showed the IP address.  It went through two Booting...Looking for Disks... cycles, updating the flash from 6.9.5 to 6.10.2 the first time through.

Message 15 of 16
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

I’ll try that far as the Orbi cbr 40 goes I just got into they ass about the damage it has done to my products and I m getting a replacement but that fixing the damage that was done to the devices  plus the readynas . They tried to get me to hook the gateway to hell router back I pushed back not today. Damn rma even did the rma on the wrong product(rbr40) I swear this the worst customer experience I had to deal why so much hassle. I’ll try tho steps in a moment but I want it replace at this point with everything I gone thru and I’ll be demaing to speak with tier 2. In the mean time I rn10400 super cheap and it’s working great for a backup 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements