× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAs V2 replacement, disk swap to other device

timouthe
Aspirant

ReadyNAs V2 replacement, disk swap to other device

HI gang,

Today is sad day. I suspect that my PSU is now dead since my device isn't powering on. My readynas NV+, bought in 2012, served me well, but it is dead now.

The show must go on. but I still need that data. I had 4x2TB drives in there in raid X. Is it an option just to take de drives and insert them into another (newer) Netgear NAS system?

Or I can search the depth of eBay to scavange a PSU, But I feel that will be a very temporary fix.

thanks for your help!

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAs V2 replacement, disk swap to other device

@timouthe wrote:

Unfortunately, it's only written NV+ on the front.

So it has an internal PSU. It is possible to replace it. Purchasing a plug-and-play replacement would cost about $125 USD - you can google "RND4PSU1-10000S" and see what you can find. 

You can alternatively purchase a stock flex ATX power supply, and modify the pinout.  This post gives some more info: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/Inexpensive-power-supply-replacemen...

Note that if all you need to do is extract data, then a standard ATX supply can be temporarily used outside the unit.  You'd use an extender cable to connect the PSU to the NAS (making the needed pinout modification in the extender cable). 

If you have good linux skills, you could also mount the drives manually in an x86 linux system - though you would need to have some way (USB adapter/dock or SATA) to connect the drives to the linux PC.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

First, if you purchased early in 2012, then it is possible that you really have a v1.  Does your NAS say "NV+ v2" on the front of the chassis?  Rear labels on the NAS are confusing, and many v1 users think they own a v2 because they see a v2 label on the back.

The NV+ v2 uses a power brick, the older NV+ has an internal PSU.  You can purchase a compatible brick fairly inexpensively.  https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ReadyNAS-314-RN31421D-100NAS-RN31441E-100NAS/dp/B013SA5OCM for example.

@timouthe wrote:

Is it an option just to take the drives and insert them into another (newer) Netgear NAS system? 

No.

It is possible to temporarily mount the disks in new ReadyNAS with help from support.  Then you could off-load the data.  But they will likely charge ($200USD).  Details are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 2 of 4
timouthe
Aspirant

thanks for the quick reply!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@timouthe wrote:

So it has an internal PSU. It is possible to replace it. Purchasing a plug-and-play replacement would cost about $125 USD - you can google "RND4PSU1-10000S" and see what you can find. 

You can alternatively purchase a stock flex ATX power supply, and modify the pinout.  This post gives some more info: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/Inexpensive-power-supply-replacemen...

Note that if all you need to do is extract data, then a standard ATX supply can be temporarily used outside the unit.  You'd use an extender cable to connect the PSU to the NAS (making the needed pinout modification in the extender cable). 

If you have good linux skills, you could also mount the drives manually in an x86 linux system - though you would need to have some way (USB adapter/dock or SATA) to connect the drives to the linux PC.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements