× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 104 - stuck with error message 'boot from USB failed'

GuidoKato
Tutor

ReadyNas 104 - stuck with error message 'boot from USB failed'

hi, my Nas which worked completley fine until now is suddenly (without any specific impact, but i believe there was a general power failure in the city) showing the message 'boot from USB failed'. 

the last available firmware was always updated. now i cant reach the NAS via my network (Mac) and also cant see the IP adress in the network... 

there is no netgear support for my nas anymore. 

what can i do to not loose my data and get access to my nas again? any help greatly appreciated 🙂 (pls if possible as easy as possible, not too technical explanations as I am rather goofy with this)

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GuidoKato

Welcome to the Community!

You may want to try doing USB Recovery on your NAS first.

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Note that you may have to try several USB drives for this, usually 4GB drives are used.

If you are still not having success with the recovery, contacting Support is the next option, first is to have it escalated to L3 which will need a per incident contract that you can purchase on your mynetgear portal. Also, if your NAS is under 3 years RMA is another option if there's any hardware issue.

HTH

Message 2 of 6
GuidoKato
Tutor

Hi, I have created an usb recovery stick and made everything as described on the netgear support side for arm-based systems. the recovery mode started from the usb, however not it got stuck with the message on the LCD of the NAS "Debug: Telnet and an IP Number". I found the NAS in the network with Raidar, however it states that it is with firmware 6.2.4. ... I have had updated the NAS every few months, so this is completley impossible, as it was for sure at 6.10.x already when the initial problem was arising.

What can I do to get it back started? Is there a possibility to start with an older firmware (and where exactly would I find an archive with different firmware versions - on the netgear site I only found the latest one (6.10.3).... and which would be the correct one to start with from this apperently very old version?

... your help will be very appreciated - I am not experienced at all in networks, however I was doing every step as described...

please let me know if you need any further information that may help to support me recovering the NAS (while I might face difficulities to tell you a lot of details as of the lack of experience mentioned above ;-)...

Thank you in advance ! Kind Regards, Guido

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

What version of the firmware did you put in the USB?  If you put on 6.2.4, that explains it.  Moving backwards from 6.10.x to 6.2.x is definately going to give you issues.  Hopefully, doing it again with the proper formware will fix the problem.

Message 4 of 6
GuidoKato
Tutor

Hi - thank you for your quick reply!

I had put the 6.10.3 on the usb drive initially. then the debug error message was shown. I have found only one previous version on the netgear site - 6.10.2., but also with this the same problem and the same error message - no idea how the raidar shows 6.2.4, as I didn't boot from the usb to this version and I was always doing the firmware updates on a regular base, so can't be that there was such an old firmware installed before the problem was arising...

any idea what i can do? or with which firmwares before 6.10.2 I can retry, and where i can obtain them?

thanks a million, Guido

Message 5 of 6
mdgm
Virtuoso

The mention of 6.2.4 is coming from the boot recovery files, not what's on the internal flash.

The code needed to do boot recovery doesn't tend to change a lot over time.

Entering the debug state indicates that USB Boot Recovery failed at some point.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements