× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104

Danielsc87
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104

Hello,, Im Trying to get FTPS working, it works no issues with internal IP address but deom an external DNS it comes up with this error,

Capture1.JPG

Port 21 is open, on my router and forwarded to the correct internal IP address

you can tell becasue TLS connection established and the user logged in,

FileZilla just failed to retrieve the directory listing,

this is also the case with software i want to use for remote connections,

any help would be great thankyou. Capture2.JPG

Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas 104

@Danielsc87

Welcome to the Community!

When not using FTPS is the connection successful? Have you also tried changing settings on FileZilla under Site Manager?

Disabling any security software helped? Are you  using explicit FTP? how about trying to use plain FTP as encryption?

Message 2 of 5
Danielsc87
Aspirant

Hello.

When not using FTPS is the connection successful?
Yes it is successful.

Have you also tried changing settings on FileZilla under Site Manager?
Yes tried all different settings and it doesn't work.

Disabling any security software helped?
It made no difference

Are you using explicit FTP?
Yes I am

how about trying to use plain FTP as encryption?
What do you mean by this. How does plain with encryption get set up. From what I could see the only secure connect is FTPS
Message 3 of 5
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

You need to also forward the passive ports. It is not enough with just port 21.

I suggest you limit the passive ports to a range equal to the amount of users you expect at a time. So if you expect 10 concurrent users/sessions maximum then set the port range to, for example, 60000 - 60010.

These ports also need to be forwarded to the NAS, from your router.

That is why it works with internal IP, but not external IP for you.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

You need to also forward the passive ports. It is not enough with just port 21.

Agreed, that is the problem here.

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

I suggest you limit the passive ports to a range equal to the amount of users you expect at a time. So if you expect 10 concurrent users/sessions maximum then set the port range to, for example, 60000 - 60010.

I usually recommend 4 ports per simultaneous connection, partly because some clients can use more than one data connection at a time, and partly because if the session drops it can take a little time for the server to close it.

The recommended range for dynamic/private ports is 49152-65535 (and of course 60000-60010 is within this range).

Masquerading can also come into play with some FTP clients.  FileZilla is one that doesn't need masquerading set.  If your particular client does need it, you should set the masquerade in the NAS to be your router's ddns name.  Note that usually will prevent you from using FTP to access your NAS on your local network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements