× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 212 Bonding Accessibility

travishayler
Aspirant

ReadyNas 212 Bonding Accessibility

Morning all,

I tried to setup bonding for both NIC's this morning. The NAS was accessible via the browser however the network accessibility stopped working. Remove the bonding and it works again. Any ideas why this would be the case?

The reason for trying the round-robin load balancing via bonding was that the NAS experiences a massive slow down towards the end of the day and requires a reboot to sort itself out. I replaced the switch and tried bonding to see if it was connectivity based. 

The system as a whole is reporting no problems with the latest firmware. Trying the bonding I thought was a good idea until being unable to connect to it from the network...

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Travis

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 212 Bonding Accessibility

@travishayler wrote:

Morning all,

I tried to setup bonding for both NIC's this morning. The NAS was accessible via the browser however the network accessibility stopped working. Remove the bonding and it works again. Any ideas why this would be the case?

The reason for trying the round-robin load balancing via bonding was that the NAS experiences a massive slow down towards the end of the day and requires a reboot to sort itself out. I replaced the switch and tried bonding to see if it was connectivity based. 

Odd, since being accessible by browser means that network accessibility didn't stop working.

When you use round-robin you do need to have a static LAG set up on the switch.

• What firmware are you running in the NAS?
  • Do you have any apps running?

Off hand the symptom sounds like a memory leak is a possibility.

Message 2 of 5
travishayler
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 312 Bonding Accessibility

The NAS is actually a 312 and runnign 6.10.1, problem started about 3 weeks ago. They have about 8 PC's running on a standard network with a simple switch. This issue has just started to occur with no major changes in the network at all. No installed apps on the NAS either.

I have since just reverted to using both NIC's one fixed and one DHCP. Not sure if it will help or not if you feel it is memory orientated. 

It might be time to migrate to Azure if the NAS is falling over. Really odd that there are no warnings or obvious issues when looking at the logs/performance.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@travishayler wrote:

The NAS is actually a 312 and runnign 6.10.1, problem started about 3 weeks ago. They have about 8 PC's running on a standard network with a simple switch. 

I have since just reverted to using both NIC's one fixed and one DHCP. Not sure if it will help or not if you feel it is memory orientated. 

TLB or ALB aggregation can work with a simple switch, so you could also use one of them. Though perhaps leave it as it is for a couple days, to see if it makes any difference.

Note that 6.10.2 is now released, so you could also update the firmware.  https://kb.netgear.com/000061280/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-2

@travishayler wrote:

The memory leak is just a guess - it'd more more likely to be the cause if you had apps running.

How about Antivirus and File Indexing?  Are they running on the NAS?

You could also download the full log zip, and look in there for issues.  One option is to send a downloadable link via private message to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) asking them to analyze.  Click on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page to send a PM.  Don't post the link publicly.

Message 4 of 5
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi travishayler,

You can send to me the NAS system logs so we can check what is causing the issue. You may just follow the steps provided by @StephenB on how you can send the logs.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements