× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 2304 - Debian / Ubuntu installation

ejcmdq
Tutor

ReadyNas 2304 - Debian / Ubuntu installation

Did anyone had success installing a recent release of Ubuntu/Debian server in ReadyNas 2304 ?

# In priniciple it's an intel celeron, and will not have issues, correct?

Tks, Eduard

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 2304 - Debian / Ubuntu installation

@ejcmdq wrote:

Today we run in small boards, raspberry pi and similar ones, but I guess we can remove most of the applications of ReadyNas that we won't use to free some more space ?

I wouldn't remove anything - that could interfere with future firmware upgrades or hotfixes.

@ejcmdq wrote:

# Do you have a clue why RN2304 model don't even appear in the lists?

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/RN2120_RR2304_RN3138.pdf

I don't know why it's referred to as the RR2304, that doesn't fit the general model naming scheme.  The hardware manual just calls it the "ReadyNAS 2304".

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ejcmdq wrote:

Did anyone had success installing a recent release of Ubuntu/Debian server in ReadyNas 2304 ?

# In priniciple it's an intel celeron, and will not have issues, correct?

If the NAS is running 6.10.x firmware, it is running Debian Jessie. Netgear might at some point migrate to something newer - OS 6 was originally launched with Wheezy, but was upgraded to Jessie in the OS 6.6.0 release.  But they haven't said (and generally don't pre-announce their plans).

It might be possible (with effort) to install something else, but not if you want to use the ReadyNAS application software.  I don't recommend doing that (and haven't attempted it myself).

Message 2 of 7
ejcmdq
Tutor

Stephen, thanks for reply !

If not installing from scratch, it's possible to upgrade/install some libraries and tools? I need to run some custom software, including python 3, psql, zeromq. Don't intend to use ReadyNas applications.

Tks, E!

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It is possible to install or update packages from ssh.  You are of course on your own if you do that (Netgear has the right to deny support unless you do a factory install).

You do need to be careful on OS partition space.  The OS partition is only 4 GB, and bad things can happen when it gets full.  You can copy your application folders into /apps (which is on the data volume), and replace the ones in /var, /lib, etc with soft links.

Personally I've taken a different approach - I don't run applications on the NAS, instead I use a separate application server.

Message 4 of 7
ejcmdq
Tutor

Tks Stephen !!

We can use one of the drives, or another flash attached to an USB probably.

Today we run in small boards, raspberry pi and similar ones, but I guess we can remove most of the applications of ReadyNas that we won't use to free some more space ?

Tks again, E!

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ejcmdq wrote:

I wouldn't remove anything - that could interfere with future firmware upgrades or hotfixes.

@ejcmdq wrote:

I don't know why it's referred to as the RR2304, that doesn't fit the general model naming scheme.  The hardware manual just calls it the "ReadyNAS 2304".

Message 6 of 7
ejcmdq
Tutor

Thanks again Mr !

I'll have one ReadyNas 2304 online this week and start investigation. It's a large project, so it worth the effort.

B. Rgds, E!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements